- Are you a solicitor looking to make a real difference in the community?
- Join this community-based NFP in this rewarding and challenging role
- Enjoy an attractive remuneration circa $80,566 gross per annum plus 9.5% super and 17.5% leave loading
- Time off in lieu arrangements are available.
- Eligible employees may also benefit from salary sacrifice options to further increase your take-home pay
About Cairns Community Legal Centre
The Cairns Community Legal Centre is a non-profit, government funded community organisation committed to providing free legal and social justice services to a range of disadvantaged clients.
The Centre extends its services across a range of areas of law including guardianship, domestic violence, peace and good behaviour matters, consumer law, credit, debt, motor vehicle property damage, discrimination, family law, child protection, and criminal and traffic matters.
This work is provided for a diverse range of clients including people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those experiencing domestic or family violence, financial difficulties and homelessness.
A Rewarding Opportunity
With increasing client demand, the Cairns Community Legal Centre is now seeking to employ an additional Solicitor to join their team on a full-time (38 hours per week) basis.
Reporting to the Centre's Principal Solicitor, you will be responsible for undertaking high quality legal work that seeks to make a difference. This will include the provision of legal advice, legal task assistance, representation and ongoing casework services, together with information and referrals.
Some of your daily responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- The provision of legal advice, including via regularly weekly advice clinics and outreach services;
- The identification and provision of legal task assistance including drafting, settling and preparing letters and other documents, making telephone calls and undertaking other liaisons on behalf of clients;
- Effecting negotiations for and on behalf of clients, including but not limited to, liaison and negotiation with government agencies, non-government service providers, professionals and other stakeholders; and
- Identifying, initiating, preparing and developing community education, awareness raising, publicity, promotional and related resources and materials.
As a member of the Centre’s team, you’ll also share workloads with your colleagues, and be actively involved in attending and participating in regular professional and other networking events.
For further information on the position, please click here.
Please note: Applications will close at 5:00pm, Friday 16th November, 2018.
The Cairns Community Legal Centre is looking for an individual who holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree. In addition, you will have (or be eligible for) admission as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland and a practising certificate which entitles you to practise as a solicitor in Queensland.
The successful candidate will be an adaptable individual, with the ability to respond to emerging demands. A strong team player, you'll demonstrate a positive attitude and enthusiastically accept new challenges as they arise. Well developed interpersonal and communication skills will be key for your success, as will the ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Importantly, you'll be passionate about the work you'll be doing, and will have a genuine interest in helping people who are experiencing disadvantage. You will also work with a strong spirit of service to get results and achieve good client outcomes.
About the Benefits
This is is a fantastic opportunity for a passionate Solicitor to use their legal knowledge to support a community-based NFP in a challenging, yet highly rewarding role.
An excellent remuneration package is on offer including a base salary circa $80,566, plus 9.5% super and 17.5% leave loading. You will also have access to salary sacrificing options to further increase your take-home pay.
Furthermore, Cairns Community Legal Centre offers a range of additional benefits including time-off in-lieu arrangements and 2 weeks office closure over Christmas/New Year, with 3 days ex gratia leave over this period in addition to public holidays. Don't delay - Apply Now!