Geographic Information System (GIS) & Asset Officer
- Expand your Geographic Information System (GIS) experience and work in a spectacular location with a passionate local Council!
- Attractive remuneration package circa $63,757 - $77,984 plus 9.5% super & salary packaging!
- Further benefits include career advancement opportunities, 5 weeks annual leave & flexi-days for a 9-day fortnight!
Walgett Shire Council and the Lighting Ridge Area
Walgett Shire Council is a local government on the border of New South Wales and Queensland that provides services to Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and the surrounding rural areas. The Shire covers an area of 22,000 square kilometres and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Found near the junction of the Namoi River and Barwon River, Walgett is a town full of history, tranquillity and adventure. A former paddle-steamer port, it is the northern gateway to the Darling River Run, a fascinating journey that takes in stunning landscapes and rich history.
Just under an hour's drive north, the Lightning Ridge area offers plenty of adventure, history and Outback majesty. From fossicking for opals to admiring art in an underground cave, there's something for everyone in this unique and colourful region include relaxing in naturally-heated springs, fishing on the Barwon or Namoi Rivers, and so much more.
For more information about Walgett and the Lightning Ridge area, please click here.
About the Opportunity
An rewarding opportunity is now available for a Geographic Information System (GIS) & Asset Officer to join Walgett Shire Council on a full-time permanent basis, based in Walgett, NSW.
Reporting to the Director Engineering / Technical Services, you will be responsible for coordinating, developing and managing the Council's Geographic Information System (GIS) and Land Information System (LIS) operations, as well as gathering and maintaining the asset related data for use in the Council's asset management systems.
Your main responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Undertaking and facilitating the creation and maintenance of GIS data, and facilitating the preparation of high quality standard and thematic maps for Council staff and external customers;
- Maintaining spatial cadastral data within Mapinfo Professional etc.; implementing data linkages between Intramaps and Authority; and maintaining the Intramaps server so that GIS data is readily available for staff;
- Ensuring asset related data integrity, collecting/maintaining asset attribute and coordination data, and developing tools to analyse asset data;
- Facilitating and undertaking regular data capture of asset objects, including geocoding processes, and creating/maintaining map layers with Mapinfo Professional using aerial photography, differential GPS etc.;
- Conducting regular review of Council's GIS data to ensure appropriate data integrity;
- Providing technical advice and support to users and editors of GIS, LIS, asset data and differential GPS data; and
- Preparing relevant reports and correspondence, completing projects within agreed time frames, and ensuring expenditure is in line with Council's adopted budget.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this role you will have at minimum a Diploma in a GIS related field or relevant working experience and advanced proficiency in creating, maintaining and translating GIS data using Mapinfo Professional or QGIS software.
Additionally, you will also need to have demonstrated experience in surveying/processing differential GPS data and in maintaining asset related data. Any ability to manage spatial and aspatial cadastral data and to use other GIS related software, notwithstanding Intramaps, Surfer and Agisoft Metashape, while not seen as essential, would be highly regarded, as would any experience in local government.
Working within a unique rural environment, you will appreciate the need to constantly and effectively adapt to change while dealing with a broad range of responsibilities specific to the local community, taking a proactive and open-minded approach to solving problems in the process.
Ideally, Walgett Shire Council are looking for an inclusive and community minded team-player with a demonstrated ability to work across a multidisciplinary team to deliver desired and co-ordinated outcomes.
About the Benefits
In recognition of your hard work and dedication you will enjoy an excellent remuneration package circa $63,757 - $77,984, dependant on your experience and qualifications, plus 9.5% super and additional salary packaging options.
Walgett Shire Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and a range of additional benefits to help you enjoy life in the local community, including:
- A 9 day fortnight;
- 5 weeks annual leave;
- Subsidised housing or rental assistance; and
- Fexi-days to ensure a great work/life balance.
This is an opportunity to advance your career with a supportive council that enjoys great staff retention and an inclusive work culture. You will be joining a passionate, multi-skilled team and receive ongoing professional development opportunities to excel your career.
In addition, you'll be conveniently located in an office on the main street, close to local cafes and shops.
Please Note: Applications close 30th July 2020.
Join a passionate Council in a fantastic location and experience variety in your career - Apply Now!