- Leave work everyday knowing that you have made a difference to someone's life
- Attractive remuneration package, commensurate with skills and qualifications
- Casual positions within a supportive team of professionals, providing you with an excellent work/life balance
About Centacare - Diocese of Rockhampton
Centacare: Diocese of Rockhampton is a large, vibrant and well respected community organisation that provides services across Central Queensland, from Mackay in the north to Bundaberg in the south and west to Longreach. Our primary focus based on our Christian Ethos and principles of Catholic social justice, is the delivery of compassionate yet professional social services, through education, counselling and community support – to encourage and strengthen individuals, couples and families to continue to develop and grow.
About Life in Rockhampton
Rockhampton is known as the capital of Central Queensland, as well as the Beef Capital of Australia. A thriving city with its historical roots in agriculture, 'Rocky' today hosts significant governmental, community and business services for the central part of the state. Major shopping centres, entertainment and sporting facilities and restaurants and cafes dot the city centre, while locals have all the choice of education, healthcare and transport you'd expect in any significant city.
Rockhampton experiences over 300 days of sunshine each year, which lends itself to tourism activities all year round and an abundance of outdoor activities. Locally you can enjoy riverfront parklands located on the banks of Fitzroy River, or within a short drive, you'll discover the stunning Capricorn Coast and famous Great Keppel Island, the vast majority of which is national park.
About the Opportunity
Centacare is now taking expressions of interest for a number of Disability Support Workers to join their Community Care Service team based in Rockhampton.
In these positions, reporting to the Coordinator - Disabilities and Mental Health, you will be performing elementary tasks within a community service program, implementing client skills and activities programmes, and providing a wide range of personal care services to clients either individually or as part of a team as part of the delivery of disability services.
More specifically, some of your key duties will include:
- Assisting in the development or implementation of client care plans and assisting senior employees with special projects;
- Providing feedback to the line manager regarding client condition and reporting immediately any deterioration and change;
- Completing a range of documentation as required, including communication records, medication records and behaviour records;
- Light domestic duties as required, and social support/community access duties including shopping with clients, assisting with bill paying, assisting clients to attend outings and activities, and taking clients to doctor's visits;
- In home respite duties and respite outings;
- Assisting clients with self medication as per Centacare competency, and supervising clients via use of blister packs, dosettes etc.;
- Providing basic first aid as required;
- Personal care duties including dressing, showering and grooming; and
- Transporting clients to a variety of places.
Centacare is seeking dedicated individuals who are genuinely committed to enhancing the quality of life of people with disabilities. To be successful in this position you will require either a relevant qualification such as a Certificate III Disability Services and/or an equivalent level of experience in a similar position.
Due to the hands-on nature of these roles, you'll need good interpersonal skills to enable you to communicate effectively with clients, other employees and members of the public.
Successful candidates will be required to possess (or be eligible to obtain) a Positive Notice Blue Care with Yellow Card exemption and satisfactory Police Check. As you may be required to travel, a current C class driver's licence is essential, while a reliable vehicle with comprehensive insurance would be an advantage.
To reward your commitment, Centacare will offer an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with skills and qualifications.
The successful candidate will also enjoy a range of outstanding benefits, including:
- Opportunities to tap into a diverse range of learning and development options that could even include higher education pathways;
- In-service training and professional development (you will receive extensive induction before commencing employment, as well as ongoing development opportunities); and
- Centacare recognises the importance of a healthy work/life balance and supports family friendly practices within the workplace.
This is an extremely satisfying and rewarding role, and you will finish each working day knowing you have improved the lives of others and truly made a difference within the community! Apply now!
For a full position description, please click here. Applicants are asked to please attach a copy of a single page cover letter and their Curriculum Vitae (including role-related referees).