CDEP/Mentor Regional Manager (Katherine)
- Job security with a vibrant regional Council in the Northern Territory - relocation assistance up to $5,000 provided!
- Step up to an exciting new challenge, mentoring and supporting the health and well-being of staff members and CDEP Participants!
- Competitive remuneration - $71,215 - $83,104 + super + great benefits including salary sacrifice options + 6 weeks annual leave and more!
About the Organisation
The Victoria Daly Shire Council became an entity on the 1st July 2008 through the amalgamation of 8 Northern Territory Community Councils covering an area of 168,000 sq km, an area approximately twice the size of Tasmania. Council's aim is to strengthen its communities with local people delivering shire services to their own communities with the skills and knowledge of their own culture, community and people.
Victoria Daly Shire is only three years old as an organisation, so Council is currently recruiting people who share their vision to help develop the brand new organisation.
About the Katherine region
Katherine, with a population of over 10,000, is situated 300 km southeast of Darwin in the "Top End", the third largest community in the Northern Territory. The Region offers an abundance of experiences, boasting many natural attractions while providing a diverse outdoor and outback lifestyle for its residents.
Katherine is a naturally stunning part of the Top End, attracting tourists from around the world. Nitmiluk National Park near the town features many activities such as camping, swimming, fishing (lures only), sightseeing, canoeing, boat cruises and bush walk trails.
In addition to its unique natural beauty, Katherine is home to several churches, schools, sporting clubs, parks, a well kept golf course, a showground and a RAAF Base.
About the Opportunity
Victoria Daly Shire Council currently has an exciting position available for a CDEP/Mentor Regional Manager to join its team at head office in Katherine. This full time role is being offered on a 12 month contract.
Reporting to the Assistant Director Service Delivery, the primary purpose of the CPEP/Mentor Regional Manager is to effectively and efficiently manage the Council's CDEP and Mentor Programs by providing employment, training and economic development opportunities for local people and to enhance the quality of life of the community with the Shire of Victoria Daly.
More specifically your responsibilities will be (but will not be limited to):
- Facilitating the ongoing development of CDEP Community Action Plans;
- Identifying training needs and facilitating training for CDEP and Mentor Program Staff and CDEP participants;
- Implementing legislative and Council policies and procedures;
- Exercising sound financial management within approved budget processes related to CDEP and Mentor Programs;
- Developing Councils Corporate and Operational Plans including the attainment of objectives and strategies under those plans;
- Developing and promoting CDEP Community Development projects and activities creating employment opportunities;
- Support indigenous people who are unemployed or under employed to overcome barriers and enter employment;
- Ensuring Council compliance with FaHCSIA and DEEWR grant conditions; and
- Ensuring compliance with Council's CDEP and Mentor policies, rules and procedures.
To be successful in this role you will need a demonstrated ability to plan and implement CDEP projects and activities which focus on the creation of employment, education, training and economic development opportunities. Previous knowledge or the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of CDEP program operations and guidelines is required.
You will also have a demonstrated ability to supervise, instruct and train staff in a cross cultural environment, as well as establish a proven high level record of financial management, preparing and presenting correspondence, reports and funding submissions.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of negotiation and conciliation skills and the ability to communicate effectively and sensitively in a multi-cultural environment, including the ability to consult with and identify Indigenous interests. A sound knowledge and understanding of the personal, social and cultural pressures faced by Indigenous people commencing and remaining in part and full time employment would be advantageous.
Council is seeking applicants with an understanding of contemporary industrial relations matters including Equal Employment Opportunity, and Occupational Health & Safety principles, with a commitment to their application. Relevant qualification or previous experience in adult learning principles for Indigenous people and a sound knowledge of Community Work Programs and associated requirements is advantageous.
Your experience and skills will be supported by a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with Indigenous people, as well as excellent computer skills including strong knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
You will have a current NT manual driver's licence and ideally hold or be willing to train for a St Johns or Red Cross first aid certificate.
Victoria Daly Shire Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions, including:
- 38 hour working week (Monday-Friday, generally 8am-4:30pm);
- 6 weeks annual leave with 17.5% leave loading;
- 10 days personal leave;
- Relocation assistance up to $5,000;
- Salary sacrifice options;
- Remote area allowance $500 per annum; and
- Ongoing professional training, allowing you to upgrade your qualifications and licensing.
The organisation truly values its employees, and actively encourages training and further study.
The CDEP/Mentor Regional Manager will be rewarded with a competitive salary circa $71,215 - $83,104 + superannuation.
This pivotal community position is an extremely satisfying and rewarding role and you will finish each working day knowing you have truly made a difference within the community!
If you're a born leader, looking for a job guaranteed to provide you with satisfaction - Apply Now!
Please note: Applications will close on the 4th July 2012
Also note: you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply for this position.