- Rewarding and challenging role perfect for a dedicated counselling professional looking to make a difference!
- Attractive remuneration package + generous salary sacrifice packaging of up to $16,050!
- Join a supportive team of professionals in Rockhampton!
- Build you career with opportunities to tap into a diverse range of learning, in-service training and professional development options!
About Centacare - Diocese of Rockhampton
Centacare: Diocese of Rockhampton is a large, vibrant and well respected community organisation that provides services across Central Queensland, from Mackay in the north to Bundaberg in the south and west to Emerald. Our primary focus, based on our Christian Ethos and principles of Catholic social justice, is the delivery of compassionate yet professional social services, through education, counselling and community support – to encourage and strengthen individuals, couples and families to continue to develop and grow.
About Life in Rockhampton
Rockhampton is known as the capital of Central Queensland, as well as the Beef Capital of Australia. A thriving city with its historical roots in agriculture, 'Rocky' today hosts significant governmental, community and business services for the central part of the state. Major shopping centres, entertainment and sporting facilities and restaurants and cafes dot the city centre, while locals have all the choice of education, healthcare and transport you'd expect in any significant city.
Rockhampton experiences over 300 days of sunshine each year, which lends itself to tourism activities all year round and an abundance of outdoor activities. Locally you can enjoy riverfront parklands located on the banks of Fitzroy River, or within a short drive, you'll discover the stunning Capricorn Coast and famous Great Keppel Island, the vast majority of which is national park.
About the Opportunity
Centacare has an opportunity for a full-time Counsellor - Family and Relationship to join their dedicated Family Relationship Services team in Rockhampton, working 76 hours per fortnight.
Reporting to the Team Leader - Counselling, you will primarily be responsible for providing counselling to clients (children, individuals, couples and families) using a range of therapeutic interventions and frameworks in accordance to the Family Law Act 1975 (Family Counsellors).
More specifically, your duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Providing primary dispute resolution processes through counselling, conciliation and mediation;
- Conducting client assessments in order to provide appropriate information, support and referral to each individuals needs;
- Developing, planning and implementing psycho-educational and developmental therapeutic programs;
- Responding to critical stress incidents and post traumatic stress disorders;
- Planning, promoting and delivering community education activities;
- Providing culturally appropriate services;
- Networking with other Community Agencies and stakeholders; and
- Maintaining files and case notes as per organisational policies and procedures.
Centacare is seeking a dedicated individual with relevant tertiary qualifications coupled with relevant experience, or an equivalent level of experience and expertise in order to effectively undertake the range of responsibilities listed. You will also need proof of membership (or the ability to gain membership) from one of the following professional membership organisations: ACA, Christian Counsellors of Australia, Queensland Counsellor Association, Australian Community Counselling Association Inc, ACWA, AASW and/ or APS.
Through previous experience, you will have gained a strong knowledge of the Family Law Act 1975 and any relevant amendments as well as of organisational programs, policies and activities. An understanding of Centacare, its organisation structure and services would be advantageous.
Additionally, you will demonstrate significant knowledge of issues and appropriate responses to clients experiencing domestic and family violence, child abuse and/or self harm. An understanding of the issues effecting children and families during separation is also required.
Successful candidates will be required to possess (or be eligible to obtain) a Positive Criminal History Screening Notice and a Working With Children Blue Card with Yellow Card exemption. A current driver's licence and a willingness to undertake some out of hours work and travel is essential.
In addition to your experience and qualifications, it is vital applicants bring professional judgement and a personable communication style to the role, preferably with experience in dealing with other staff, the public and other organisations, and in providing services to a culturally diverse clientele. Your organisation and time management skills as well as your ability to prioritise and monitor workloads is also essential as you will work on a wide range of functions within the organisation.
To reward your commitment, Centacare will offer an attractive remuneration plus generous salary sacrifice packaging of up to $16,050 to significantly increase your take home pay.
The successful candidate will also enjoy a range of outstanding benefits, including:
- Opportunities to tap into a diverse range of learning and development options that could even include higher education pathways;
- In-service training and professional development (you will receive extensive induction before commencing employment, as well as ongoing development opportunities); and
- Centacare recognises the importance of a healthy work/life balance and supports family friendly practices within the workplace.
This is an extremely satisfying and rewarding role, and you will finish each working day knowing you have improved the lives of others and truly made a difference within the community! Apply now!