Plant & Maintenance Manager
- Are you an experienced Tradesperson with remote or Indigenous experience?
- Do you thrive on a challenge and establishing procedures and processes?
- Live the Cape York experience: fishing, camping, wildlife & fantastic scenery!
- Attractive remuneration circa $80K + vehicle, accommodation, 2 flights to Cairns each year plus other allowances!
About the Organisation
The Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council’s mission is to support the provision of high standard local government services and economic growth of the Northern Peninsula Area through the sustainable use, development and management of land, water and native vegetation resources, whilst protecting the rights and interests of both the individual and the community.
The Northern Peninsula Area Council Vision is: A thriving, safe, friendly place where people who support and respect each other are proud to live, invest and prosper.
The Council is charged with the responsibility of ensuring a wide range of local government services are available throughout the communities of the Northern Peninsula Area. The NPARC works closely with the community and funding agencies to ensure the necessary resources are available for these purposes.
About Life in the NPA
Find a new, relaxed way of life in the tropical beauty of the Northern Peninsula Area (NPA)! Situated in Far North Queensland, at the tip of Cape York Peninsula and 900km north of Cairns, the NPA incorporates five (predominately Indigenous) communities - Injinoo, Umagico, Bamaga, New Mapoon and Seisia.
The main centre for the 2,500 people of the region is Bamaga. Bamaga is a well serviced and close-knit neighbourhood, offering residents everything you'd expect in a large country town - schools, a supermarket, hospital, dental service, Post Office, service station/ workshop, child care services, TAFE, clothing store, pub, snack bar, bakery, video store and a thrift store! If you're the sporting type, there's plenty to keep you busy too, whether you're into basketball, volleyball, tennis, rugby, soccer, swimming or just like to work out in the gym.
You will be dazzled by the recreational opportunities offered by the natural beauty on Bamaga's doorstep. Fishing and boating are major recreational pastimes on the stunning Jardine River, and the many local coastal reefs and islands. Discover the local rivers and swimming holes as well as beautiful white sand beaches, while the nearby rainforest provides endless opportunities for walking, exploration and bird watching.
About the Opportunity
Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council is looking to welcome a dynamic and competent Plant & Maintenance Manager to its Bamaga team.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, you will be responsible for the overall management of the Plant and Maintenance Workshop, including the Mechanical Workshop, the Fabrication Workshop and overseeing the Council Stores in an operational capacity.
Some of your more specific day-to-day duties will include:
- Managing the overall operations and budget of the Plant, Maintenance and Fabrication Workshops;
- Liaising with HR on the recruitment of new employees;
- Supervising and training tradesmen, trades assistants and apprentices as required;
- Identifying and remedying any extraordinary problems with plant and equipment and acting on priorities as required to meet Council needs;
- Minimising equipment downtime;
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment ensuring all OH&S requirements are being met and ensuring all tools and machinery are safe to use and properly stored and maintained;
- Ensuring all replacement parts are ordered to meet maintenance requirements without accumulating unnecessary surplus stock;
- Liaising with other areas of Council to ensure Workshops are satisfying service requirements and preparing reports for Council on Workshop activities.
NPARC is looking for an outstanding candidate who is up for a challenge and is a strong team player. To succeed, you'll need a current trade certificate and driver's licence, coupled with demonstrated experience in workshop management and experience in the training and development of tradesmen and apprentices. Experience in a multi-faceted workshop and small engine, diesel fitter and plant maintenance experience is essential. Although not essential, experience in local government and a HR licence will be well regarded.
In addition, you'll possess an understanding of local Indigenous issues and an ability to cope with the remote locality of the role. If you are looking for a laid back yet rewarding and challenging position that will make a difference to local Indigenous communities - this is for you!
In this role, the ability to deal with high pressure situations and manage conflicting priorities, along with proficient computer skills and an understanding of OH&S requirements, are essential. You will also require excellent communication skills and a willingness to work longer hours as required.
You will be rewarded with a competitive remuneration package, circa $80,000 (negotiable with experience and qualifications) plus a vehicle, accommodation, 2 flights to Cairns each year (4 flights including spouse), and other allowances!
Don't miss this opportunity to use your skills and experience to take the next step in your career with a supportive organisation in a stunning location! Apply Now!