Senior Environmental Health Officer
Halls Creek, WA - The Heart of the Kimberley!
- Enjoy excellent job satisfaction knowing you are truly making a difference within the local community in the heart of the Kimberley region!
- Competitive salary package plus a range of AMAZING benefits!
- Benefits include relocation allowance, modern house available with subsidised rent, 5 weeks annual leave and much more!
- Graduates may be considered!
About the Organisation
The Shire of Halls Creek, located in northern Western Australia, boasts a progressive Council that is proactively facing the challenges and opportunities that come with being an outback Council.
Halls Creek, a growing town at the heart of the Kimberley region, is a busy service hub for surrounding pastoralists, Aboriginal communities and travellers exploring northern Western Australia. Halls Creek is also the fourth fastest growing shire within Western Australia.
Situated in the heart of the Kimberley, Halls Creek is a cultural epicentre with 6 great art centres within the district and is the gateway to a range of world renowned natural attractions, including the World Heritage listed Bungle Bungle ranges of Purnululu National Park and Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater (the second largest on earth with a diameter of 850 meters).
Halls Creek is just 1200 kms from Darwin, 700 kms from Broome and 1050 kms to Alice Springs, offering you the opportunity to explore more of the beautiful Australian outback in your spare time.
About the Opportunity
Due to an internal promotion, the Shire of Halls Creek has an exciting opportunity for a dedicated Senior Environmental Health Officer to join their dynamic and dedicated team in Halls Creek, WA.
Reporting to the Manager of Regulatory Services, you will be assisting in the provision of an effective Environmental Health Service for the shire and surrounding communities and in the achievement of the Shire's strategic goals and directions.
More specifically, some of your duties will include:
- Assessing the environmental health conditions and services in Aboriginal communities including the identification of environmental causes contributing to trachoma;
- Supervising and mentoring Aboriginal Environmental Health Workers;
- Ensuring compliance with various legislation under the jurisdiction of the Regulatory Services Department;
- Examining plans and building applications for houses, shops and factories to ensure compliance;
- Examining plans and inspecting septic tanks and issuing Certificates of Completion;
- Inspecting soils subject to building permits and determining suitability for effluent disposal;
- Inspecting and monitoring public buildings in accordance with legislation, guidelines and procedures;
- Investigating general complaints, noise complaints and pollution complaints; and
- Investigating cases of notifiable diseases as required.
To be successful in this role, you will hold a Bachelor of Applied Science (Environmental Health) or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Executive Director of Public Health for Western Australia. Additionally, you'll have demonstrated knowledge of the relevant legislation in Western Australia. You will also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in addition to well developed computer skills and negotiation ability.
Although not essential, experience in cross-cultural communication or as an Environmental Health Officer in a local government or similar will be highly regarded, as would skills in the use, understanding and interpretation of legislation. Applications from Graduate Environmental Health Officers will also be considered.
A current C class driver's licence and a working with Children check (or willingness to obtain one) is also required.
This is the perfect opportunity for a passionate individual who is eager to work with an organisation that will truly recognise and reward your hard work!
In return for your dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive remuneration package plus excellent working conditions and the job satisfaction that comes from knowing you are truly making a difference in the local community.
The Shire of Halls Creek highly values their employees and are offering a range of fantastic benefits including:
- 5 weeks annual leave;
- Modern house available with subsidised rent;
- Matching super on top of Superannuation Guarantee Levy;
- Free ADSL connection at residence;
- Generous telephone call, water and electricity allowance;
- Opportunity for salary sacrifice.
Enjoy the beauty of this picturesque region and an array of fantastic benefits in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - Apply Now!
It is recommended that candidates read the position description, available on the following link, before addressing the questions below with reference to the specific selection criteria.
Please note: Only applicants with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered. Applicants must be willing to undergo a National Police clearance prior to commencing work.
Aboriginal people are encouraged to apply for this position.