Preferably Sydney, but other locations considered
- Federal Court Manager 1 (EL 1)
- $95,493-$103,131 per annum, plus superannuation
- Ongoing, Full-time
- The preferred location for this role is Sydney, NSW however other locations may be considered
Overview of Agency
From 1 July 2016, the Courts Administration Legislation Amendment Act 2016 merged the corporate services of the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia with the Federal Court of Australia into a single administrative entity – the Federal Court of Australia. The entity also includes the National Native Title Tribunal.
The Act makes provision for the courts to share corporate services including Human Resources, Information Technology, Finance as well as other functions.
Under the arrangement, each court remains independent to fulfil its statutory obligations. Heads of Jurisdiction continue to be responsible for managing the administrative affairs of their respective courts (excluding corporate services), with assistance from a Chief Executive Officer and Principal Registrar.
All staff of the courts are employed by the Federal Court of Australia under the Public Service Act 1999 regardless of which court or tribunal they work for or provide services to.
The financial accountant (administered) is responsible for the accounting and financial reporting for all of the Court’s administered items. The Court collects in the order of $75 million in fees revenue on behalf of the Government. This position is responsible for ensuring that these transactions are recorded and reported correctly. This includes reconciling the data from the Court’s case management system with the financial management information system. The position supervises one other staff member directly.
- Production of the administered component of the Court’s annual financial statements
- Monthly reporting to Government of administered financial results
- Supervision of interaction with government on a daily basis in relation to receipts and appropriations
- Reconciliation between the Court’s case management systems and financial management information system
- Contribution to Court projects in relation to case management and fees reporting
- Supervision of direct debit arrangements in relation to fees
- Supervision of transactions within the Court’s litigants fund special account
- Provide support to the Court’s registries nationally in relation to fees related issues, particularly debt collection
Competencies & Attributes
- Experience in producing financial statements
- Familiarity with accounting standards
- Experience in accounting in a government environment
- Ability to work with a small, geographically dispersed team
- Familiarity with Technology One (Financials) would be an advantage
Security clearance at the protected level to enable CBMS access is required.
- Demonstrated ability in the production of financial statements and familiarity with accounting standards.
- Understanding of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 and the related regulations and understanding of the relevant regulations of the Federal Court and the Family Court or the ability to quickly gain such understanding.
- Understanding of the reporting requirements of the Department of Finance, including familiarity with the Department’s CBMS system.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills
Employment with the Court is subject to the terms and conditions in the Public Service Act 1999, and the following conditions:
- Australian citizenship – the successful applicant must hold Australian citizenship;
- National Police Check – the successful applicant must satisfy a Police Records Check, and may also be required to complete security clearances during the course of their employment;
- Health clearance – the successful applicant will be required to complete a health declaration and may be required to attend a medical assessment to confirm their fitness for duty.
Interested candidates who have received a redundancy benefit from an APS agency are welcome to apply, but note that they cannot be engaged until their redundancy benefit period has expired.
How to Apply
To be considered you will need to upload a comprehensive statement of claims against the selection criteria, and attach an up to date resume by 11:55PM on 27 November 2017.
For more information contact Matthew Davis by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 9230 8823.