Senior Associate - Construction
Founded over a century ago, Colin Biggers & Paisley continues to realise our vision of being recognised as the leading provider of legal services in our chosen fields of expertise. Today our practice has over 400 staff, offices in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, and a track record of high engagement and collaborative leadership.
About the role:
This role will be working in a team with a dynamic and successful Partner, Senior Associate and two Solicitors. Our Construction and Engineering practice has experienced a number of significant wins and is continuing to grow. You will be responsible for:
- Assist in providing clients with legal advice on all aspects of major projects
- Preparing, negotiating and administering contracts
- Conduct due diligence, writing briefs and taking witness statements as required
- Regularly reviewing applicable case law and legislative changes
- Drafting a broad range of legal documents that capture the context of the matter with a commercial approach
- Conducting effective legal research and analysis to produce timely, commercial and legally accurate advice
- Managing a robust workload, including prioritising work and delivering services effectively
- Developing an understanding of client operations and strategy
- Managing prospective client relationships
- Mentoring and developing junior staff
- Continual professional development and managing CLE requirements
The successful candidate:
You will be supported in this close knit team, given training, mentoring and guidance from your peers and leader. You will need to be self-motivated and adaptable in this dynamic environment. Ideal background and skills include:
- Ideally a minimum of 5 years PAE with a background in front end construction work
- Experience in resolving disputes, ideally in court proceedings, arbitrations, mediations and negotiations
- Previous exposure to Business Development and a natural ability to build strong client relationships
- Ability to manage client expectations and run matters autonomously
- Previous legal drafting and review experience is required
- Strong attention to detail
- Client relationship focused and are interested in establishing a long-term successful career
- Ability to relate to people at all levels and effectively work in a team
- Ability to work effectively to tight deadlines and manage time
- Practical problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
At Colin Biggers & Paisley, our workplace culture focuses on excellence without losing sight of work/life balance.
We established the Colin Biggers & Paisley Foundation which brings together our entire community offering, underpinned by a central strategy of promoting and protecting the rights of women and children in Australia and abroad through pro bono legal services, volunteering and charitable contributions.
We commit to promoting a truly diverse workforce and culture, that is inclusive of everyone and gives all of our people the opportunity to build and advance their career in a way that is aligned with our core values: balance, respect, loyalty and integrity. This will assist us to improve the business performance of the practice, acquire and retain the best talent, enabling us to build effective teams for our clients and deliver the highest calibre service.
We continually invest in our people, providing training, learning and support, and promoting a social and connected environment. We also offer other benefits such as social and sporting functions, rewards and recognition, casual Fridays, massages and professional memberships.