Development Officer (Engineering)
- 2 x Permanent Full Time roles, 35 hours per week
- Ability to participate in flexible working arrangement
- Corporate Fitness Program
Our City is thriving. In recent years Newcastle has experienced a significant increase in development activity. This is a great opportunity to join the City of Newcastle (CN) and grow your career through involvement in the significant development applications we currently have in abundance. Come and be part of the planning for the future of our City!
Working as part of our busy Regulatory, Planning and Assessment service unit, the position provides engineering advice on development applications along with processing applications for flood certificates, subdivision proposals and public infrastructure.
Your experience working in similar roles will see you hit the ground running, enabling you to apply and satisfy sound environmental planning principles and to meet all relevant legislative requirements.
You will provide consistent professional advice to external and internal customers regarding development proposals, our assessment procedures and statutory requirements relating to development. Your professionalism will promote CN’s reputation as a competent, efficient and courteous service provider, consistently delivering high quality development outcomes while maintaining a strong customer service focus.
A continual focus on teamwork and a motivated attitude will contribute positively to our cooperative and supportive multi-disciplinary team environment. You will actively participate in organisational change initiatives.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
To be successful in this job you will have:
- Recognised tertiary qualifications or demonstrated equivalent experience in engineering or a related discipline.
- Experience and demonstrated competence in the assessment and determination of Development and/or Construction Certificate applications (subdivision focus), engineering referrals and Roads Act applications, including the conduct of routine progress inspections on development projects.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and Roads Act 1993.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to competently address technical issues.
- Sound written and oral communication skills including demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills as well as proven ability to prepare reports on development matters.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to manage work priorities efficiently and to work independently with a minimum of supervision, with a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor development matters (approved or otherwise) and to take appropriate action to ensure compliance with relevant statutory requirements.
- Possession of a current Class C drivers licence or equivalent.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
CN proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Sunday 23rd June, 2019
Remuneration: $81,620 to $86,517 (plus 9.5% Superannuation) for a 35 hour week
For further details please contact: Steven Masia - Development Engineering Team Coordinator - 4974 2054