Shift Leading Hand (Mechanic)
- Are you a qualified Mechanic with proven leadership experience?
- Permanent full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Excellent professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs on offer.
- Flexible work arrangements available, including a 9-day fortnight.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is seeking a Mechanic with leadership experience to join our Depot Operations service unit, supervising a team of mechanics on shift in our workshop. Depot Operations is a team of 30+ staff that enables other services within CN to operate at their service potential by providing and maintaining sustainable, fit-for purpose plant/fleet asset services and operational works depot management to the organisation.
As the successful candidate you’ll take a hands-on leadership approach, carrying out the daily tasks with the team and ensuring compliance with national standards. You’ll act as a safety leader and effectively demonstrate CN’s values of Cooperation, Respect, Excellence and Wellbeing (CREW).
You’ll be responsible for servicing and maintenance on CN fleet, including garbage fleet vehicles, fix and mobile plant, light fleet and NHVAS accredited fleet. You’ll lead the team on shift to complete inspections and repairs as required within designated timeframes to maintain CN’s NHVAS accreditation and will ensure all shift ‘Works’ are completed to Original Equipment Manufacturers standards, NSW and Australian roadworthiness / accreditations levels.
Additionally, you’ll be responsible for supporting Apprentices with on the job training and mentorship, positively contributing to toolbox talks, completing relevant paperwork, and providing timely and professional customer service at the service reception desk.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Mechanical Trade Certificate (Heavy Vehicle preferred) and Motor Vehicle Repairer's Licence
- HR Drivers Licence or LR Drivers Licence and willingness to HR Driver Licence within 12-month period at own cost
- Experience leading and developing the skills of a team
- Experience in fault diagnostics
- Working knowledge of Work Health and Safety legislation / requirements
- Intermediate computer skills including experience using Microsoft Office Suite of products, corporate computer programs and safety systems
- Experience in parts interpretation / cataloguing
- Demonstrated customer service skills, including a professional phone, email and face to face manner.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- First Aid Certificate
- Cert IV in Training & Assessment
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Tuesday, 7 July 2020.
Remuneration: $70,201.61 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: Manager, Depot Operations – 0431 941 977.