Do you have skills in facilitating Aboriginal programs and working with Aboriginal community organisations?
Would you like to use your skills to assist with an innovative model of rehabilitation and reintegration that improves outcomes for Aboriginal people?
Do you want to work within a team of Aboriginal Programs staff at Ravenhall Correctional Centre?
About The GEO Group Australia
We are the country's leading provider of outsourced correctional services, operating in NSW, QLD and VIC. GEO aims to deliver better corrections and create safer communities. We focus on providing a continuum of care and integration of services to make a real difference in the lives of people we work with.
For more information about our organisation and Ravenhall Correctional Centre, visit our website at www.geogroup.com.au
About Ravenhall Correctional Centre
Ravenhall Correctional Centre is a medium security men’s prison opening in late 2017 in Ravenhall, Victoria.
Ravenhall will redefine the role of the modern prison. It’s unique design and service model provides an unprecedented emphasis on offender rehabilitation and reintegration. If you are motivated to work therapeutically to create successful outcomes for prisoners, Ravenhall is the place for you.
About the Opportunity
Ravenhall Correctional Centre will employ two Aboriginal Programs Officers who will assist in the delivery of Aboriginal Programs and work collaboratively with Aboriginal community organisations to ensure appropriate cultural programs and services at the Centre. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with strong planning and facilitation skills to be a part of an innovative suite of cultural programs that enhance connection to community and culture and improve the social, emotional and spiritual well-being of Aboriginal men.
The Aboriginal Programs Officer will:
- Regularly facilitate an Aboriginal Programs Orientation session..
- Conduct Program Suitability Assessments and make associated referrals for Aboriginal programs and services at Ravenhall.
- Facilitate GEO’s Aboriginal Programs with a focus upon enhancing connections to family and culture.
- Work collaboratively with Aboriginal community organisations to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners receive timely access to appropriate cultural programs and services at the Centre.
- Work collaboratively with GEO, Alliance Partners and health services staff to facilitate integrated service delivery and Ravenhall’s continuum of care.
- Provide consultation, advice and training on issues related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture.
- Provide individual support to Aboriginal prisoners as required including assistance related to reintegration, family re-connection and community support.
Your Skills & Experience
To be successful in the role of Aboriginal Programs Officer you will:
- Be Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Victorian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and demonstrated commitment to improving outcomes for Aboriginal people.
- A deep and authentic understanding of Aboriginal culture, peoples, Country and traditions and the impact that the criminal justice system has on Aboriginal men, families and communities.
- A demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with members of the Victorian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
- A demonstrated ability to be mature, flexible and empathetic to the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners.
- Well-developed interpersonal, communication, assertiveness and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other program areas and disciplines.
For further information about this role including the Position Description and how to apply, please click the Apply Now button.
About the Benefits
Joining GEO is your chance to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of prisoners, their families and the community. Benefits of working for GEO, include but are not limited to:
- Role diversity and internal career progression opportunities
- Ongoing professional development opportunities (including further education sponsorship)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Competitive salary and rewards scheme
- Free parking
- Employee Assistance Program
- Staff gym
- Subsidised meals
Make a real difference – Apply Now!