Recreation Officer (Community Care)
Inner Northern Melbourne
- Work with an organisation committed to social justice
- Wintringham promotes ongoing training and professional excellence
- Competitive rates: $26.53-$29.13 p/hr (dependent on qualifications)
- Generous kilometre reimbursement for work related travel
- Access to Not-for-Profit Salary Packaging
- Fixed-Term | Part-Time (15 hours’ p/week minimum)
- Office based in Ascot Vale – servicing Inner Northern Melbourne suburbs (VIC)
Who are we?
Wintringham is a Not for Profit organisation which provides aged care services to those who are financially disadvantaged, have previously been homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless. Employing over 800 staff, Wintringham provides care and support services through residential facilities as well as community services, which assist an elderly person to retain their chosen lifestyles, habits and activities and to be as independent as they choose to be.
Wintringham is renowned for the quality and personalised range of lifestyle and recreation activities/outcomes we support our clients to achieve. We distance ourselves from a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to recreation and our multi-skilled Recreation team blend elements of recreation and leisure counselling to create an individualised approach to activities that are both meaningful and tailored to our clients’ interests.
Your new role
We are currently seeking a flexible and experienced Recreation Officer to join our team on a Fixed-Term | Part-Time basis for a 6 months (with potential to become permanent) to work across our community program in Melbourne’s Inner-Northern suburbs. If you are seeking a flexible workplace that caters to your availability, offers you a change of pace and gets you out of an office or facility, then look no further.
So – what is a day in the life of a Recreation Officer?
No two days will be the same in this fast paced and dynamic role. In your new role, some of the requirements will include:
- Recreation: assist clients to pursue and develop their recreational pursuits through one-on-one facilitation
- Community Support: escorting our clients on community outings e.g. shopping trips, excursions, lunches, appointments
- Transport: escorting our clients to medical and allied health appointments, hospital visits and respite care
Wintringham’s response to COVID-19
Client and staff safety is paramount to us at Wintringham. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have and will continue to ensure that our staff are supplied with the resources they need to guarantee they are working in a safe and risk-averse environment. If you gain employment with Wintringham, you will be provided with all necessary personal protective equipment in accordance with the advice from the Department of Health & Chief Health Officer throughout your working day. We have strict COVID-19 policies and procedures to ensure that our staff as well as our clients are kept safe in the community.
What’s in it for you?
We are committed to offering an enjoyable, safe and flexible workplace that provides a work-life balance. When you are working with Wintringham, you will have access to the following benefits:
- Flexible working hours: Whatever your circumstances are, we have an array of morning, afternoon and early evening shifts that are available to you.
- Access to exclusive not-for-profit salary packaging: salary package your personal expenses up to the amount of $15,900.
- Kilometre reimbursement: You will need your own car in this role and we will ask you to travel, however, we reimburse you for work related travel!
- Continuous development: we believe in giving our staff the skills they need and will keep you up to date with yearly qualifications such as behaviour management, first aid, CPR and manual handling. We offer many growth opportunities and have a strong internal recruitment program.
- Free access to wellbeing services + retailer discounts: Access to our staff wellbeing portal, exclusive discounts from leading retailers and our Employee Assistance Program
We are looking for candidates with the following:
- Relevant qualification in Recreation, Leisure & Lifestyle or equivalent, or similar.
- Willingness to travel to and familiarity with Melbourne’s Inner-Northern suburbs
- Prior experience in Community based Recreation programs
- Interest in Social Justice Issues - highly valued
- Experience working with clients who come from a disadvantaged background (highly advantageous)
- Current First Aid Certificate 2
- Current drivers licence
- Own reliable vehicle that is suitable for transporting clients and work purposes
How to apply:
For more information about the role, you can download a copy of the Position Description by clicking the PD link 'HERE'
Applications can be directed to Scott Newman (Recreation Coordinator – Community) and submitted by filling out the information below.
Please upload your CV and Cover Letter in PDF format.
Applications close at 5:00pm on Thursday 22nd April 2021
Interviews will be held after applications close and shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a NDIS Worker Screening Check and Police Records check. Refusal to provide your information to both of these parties will prevent Wintringham from being able to continue with your application.
Applicants who have lived in a country other than Australia for a period longer than 12 months in the last 10 years may be required to undergo an International Police Check.
Applicants must be willing to undertake a flu vaccination within the 2021 calendar year in order to be considered for this role.
Wintringham is an Equal Opportunity employer and embraces differences in gender, diversity, ethnicity, race cultural background, ability, religion and sexual orientation. We are committed to the safety of our older persons and have zero tolerance for elder abuse.
We acknowledge the first peoples of Australia and their unique role in our history and society and encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for advertised positions. We recognise the benefits that diversity and inclusion contribute to help Wintringham achieve our goals and vision of ending homelessness.