North Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: February 8, 2018 at 11:30 PM (PST)
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
About the Squamish Nation
The Squamish Nation is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Administrative Officer to join our dynamic and progressive team in North Vancouver - in a term full-time position (with the possibility of becoming permanent).
Reporting to the Team Leader, Admin Services, this position manages the administrative flow and clerical tasks required by the Ayas Men Men Prevention and Youth Services, Family Program, Nexwniwnitway Family Circle (Alternative Child Protection Safety Resolution Program). Is the “key point of contact” for the team members, this position provides a wide range of clerical and administrative support as well as the maintenance of filing systems and the scheduling of visits and meeting rooms. Responsible for assisting the team with new intakes, caseloads, admin duties, etc. This position provides research regarding programs and services as well as undertakes special assignments and initiatives. The incumbent is responsible for a broad range of administrative tasks (ranging from typing letters to ordering office furniture) which usually requires senior approval but which may require independent judgment in some situations. Strong knowledge of Child & Family Service policies, practices and protocols is required.
Other responsibilities include:
- Acts as the primary administrative support position for the Prevention and Youth Services, Family Program, and Nexwniwnitway Family Circle (Alternative Child Protection Safety Resolution Program).
- Takes requests for administrative tasks from all team members and prioritizes based on urgency.
- Provides filing support to each team member, establishing a usable system and keeping files up to date with incoming correspondence.
- Screens calls and visitors on behalf of team.
- Ensures that accurate program and client records are maintained.
- Takes instruction from Team Leader, Ayas Men Men Admin Services to complete other administrative tasks, as time permits.
- Tracks inventory and supplies for the division.
- Prepares for approval, and implements, annual program planning/reports and assists with overall services delivery goals for teams.
- Organizes and coordinates daily programs and activities for the Family Support Programs division.
- Performs administration duties associated with the family programs.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as member of Ayas Men Men Administration and Child & Family Services Teams.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Diploma or Bachelors Degree in Office Management, Administration, Business Management/Administration or a relevant/related field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Plus minimum: 2 years (with Bachelor) or 5 years (with Diploma) directly-related work experience in the majority of duties listed in the job description including switchboard operation, office administration, form and letter writing and word processing, previous position involving children and families, responsibilities supporting social programs,
researching, providing senior level administration support, etc.
- Experience working in a field related to Child and Family Services is an asset.
- Experience as an intermediate user of MS Office, the Internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must have reliable vehicle, current auto insurance, valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must be willing to: travel, work a flexible work schedule and work evenings/weekends as required.
- Must provide a valid Criminal Records Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider 3 years (with Diploma) related work experience for the above education/experience.
- Grade 12 plus a minimum of 8 years experience as an office manager / administrative position with related responsibilities may be considered for above education / experience.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to software applications, switchboard operation, document control, office equipment, administrative procedures, business communications, etc.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Squamish Nation offers you the opportunity to contribute at an exciting time of growth within the community, and play a part in employee initiatives, environmental protection activities, and community building.
If you are looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today! Please note that candidates must apply online by February 8, 2018 at 11:30 PM (PST).