Casual, variable hours as needed
Based in Woolloomooloo, NSW
Care Services Collective Agreement 2009, SWSE Level 1, hourly rate is $22.99 plus casual loading where applicable
- Work with a supportive and friendly team; location is accessible by public transport
- You will have opportunities for training and career development
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
The Matthew Talbot Hostel provides accommodation and specialised support to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The service aims to provide immediate support and accommodation for people at the time of crisis as well as facilitate access to other essential services and more permanent housing. These services range from provision of nutritional meals, clothing, showers and basic medical to intensive case management, legal and housing support, specialised health care, advocacy and providing a safe, welcoming environment for people who are sleeping rough and have experienced trauma.
The Kitchen Hand will assist in preparing and delivering food services for the clients of Matthew Talbot Hostel and Corporate Catering in Ozanam Learning Center. The key responsibilities of the role will include:
- assisting in the preparation of meals i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner plus any in-house function meals
- making sandwiches and salads; preparing morning and afternoon tea
- setting tables in the dining room for each meal and serving meals
- cleaning and sanitising food preparation equipment, utensils, cutleries, crockery etc; keeping the kitchen premises clean
- assisting in all related food preparation and housekeeping tasks as required
- Observing food handling and safe food practices according to HACCP guidelines;
- Adhering to WHS guidelines and reporting accidents whilst on duty
This role will report to the Catering Coordinator. Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Food Handling certificates or equivalent
- Experience working as Kitchen hand/ Sandwich hand in food related industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant food handling and safety regulations and guidelines including HACCP
- Experience in a customer service/hospitality environment and willingness to adhere to a established quality standards
- Ability to work independently or as part of a professional team, as well as the ability to adapt and deliver to a changing environment in a professional manner
- Sound organization and time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and high demanding role while maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Willingness to work with the ethos of St Vincent de Paul Society NSW
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check. The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Kabin Shrestha (Catering Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org quoting: Kitchen Hand - Casual / VIN1362.
Applications close at 11:00 pm on 18 February 2019
Please submit your application with your Resume attached and answer the screening questions below this job ad.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.