Find your opportunity to Make Today Great!
If creativity, innovation, service and a chance to make a real difference in peoples’ lives are important to you, we want you on our team. Please see below for current job opportunities. While we thank all respondents, only those under consideration will be contacted.
You have a passion to raise the bar in the retirement industry. You are an energetic, motivated team player who is able to inspire others to provide the highest standards of performance and customer service. You will have abilities and customer service experience in a similar setting with skills and knowledge in the areas of great meal planning, preparation and delivery, impeccable sanitation and food safe handling, health and safety practices and be a contributing team player to the overall success of the Community. You are committed to upholding the V!VA Values and Culture. If making a difference in people’s lives is important to you, then we are eager to hear from you.
What do you get when a team of experienced industry professionals combine their passion and decide it is time to raise the bar in the retirement living industry? You get V!VA Retirement Communities. At V!VA, we aren’t about grand statements or lofty ideals. We are a group of Canadians committed to bringing the right mix of people together to inspire each other and deliver the highest standards of customer service and performance in the retirement industry. At V!VA we put people first. We are looking for just the right person who shares V!VA’s mission – Making Today Great!
As Full-time Sous Chef at V!VA Barrhaven Retirement Community, you will be accountable to your schedule (75 hours bi-weekly) and job duties as they pertain to your assigned shifts. You will collaborate and work as a team player with emphasis on great food preparation and delivery, cleanliness within your department and excellence in hospitality! When needed, you will be part of the first response team for all emergency fire calls, support all caterings both internally and externally by excelling in the V!VA culture. You will report and document all temperature readings, portion and production controls both in appropriate binders and to the Executive Chef and Culinary Services Manager as required, to ensure a seamless communication and support system. Ensure the appropriate methods of maintaining confidentiality and privacy of information are carried out in your day to day tasks and communication. Working closely with the Executive Chef to address, support and honor the needs of our current and prospective Community Members.
- Post-Secondary education in Food Service
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing in large quantity, high quality food preparation. Experience with fine dining would be an asset.
- Red Seal Certificate Required
- Knowledge of regulations such as the Health and Safety Act, Food Handlers program etc.
- Some experience with seniors is desired
- Knowledge in MS office (outlook, word, excel)
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and subordinates
- Ability to manage their time effectively with little supervision
- Up to date police check-vulnerable sector * verified annually
- Valid CPR/First Aid
- Ability to work as a Team Member, understanding the priorities of others
- Able to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods. Able to lift a maximum of 50 lbs
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends
- Available for call-ins
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepares meals for Community Members and guests that align with the V!VAlicious Program
- Ensures food is ready to be served at required times
- Portions food to meet the Community Members dietary requirements
- Provide prompt, cooperative and friendly service to the Culinary Service Team
- Responsible for constant sanitation, organization, and proper food handling
- Maintain a clean and healthy work environment including participation in the cleaning of the kitchen
- Adhere to the V!VA Service Culture Standards while bringing your own natural personality to the positions
- Report to work as scheduled and properly attired
- Protect own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety
- Actively participates in all training offered and seek opportunities to continue growing and learning and finding ways to contribute to Making Today Great! Every day for everyone
- Live the Orange Dot V!VA Values and drive excellence in customer service throughout the Community