Find your opportunity to Make Today Great!
If creativity, innovation, service and a chance to make a real difference in peoples’ lives are important to you, we want you on our team. Please see below for current job opportunities. While we thank all respondents, only those under consideration will be contacted.
You have a passion to raise the bar in the retirement industry. You are an energetic, motivated team player who is able to inspire others to provide the highest standards of performance within the culinary team and the kitchen in particular. You have cooking experience and are willing to commit to the V!VAlicious Program. You take exceptional pride in the food you make and thoroughly enjoy the team environment needed to make the Culinary team a success!
What do you get when a team of experienced industry professionals combine their passion and decide it is time to raise the bar in the retirement living industry? You get V!VA Retirement Communities. At V!VA, we aren’t about grand statements or lofty ideals. We are a group of Canadians committed to bringing the right mix of people together to inspire each other and deliver the highest standards of customer service and performance in the retirement industry. At V!VA we put people first. We are looking for just the right person who shares V!VA’s mission – Making Today Great!
As Cook at The V!VA Barrhaven, you will be accountable to your schedule and job duties as they pertain to your assigned shifts. You will collaborate and work as a team player with emphasis on great food preparation and delivery, cleanliness within your department and excellence in hospitality! When needed, you will be part of the first response team for all emergency fire calls, support all caterings both internally and externally by excelling in the V!VA culture. You will report and document all temperature readings, portion and production controls both in appropriate binders and to the Executive Chef and Culinary Services Manager as required, to ensure a seamless communication and support system. Ensure the appropriate methods of maintaining confidentiality and privacy of information are carried out in your day to day tasks and communication. Working closely with the Executive Chef to address, support and honor the needs of our current and prospective Community Members.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepares meals for Community Members and guests that align with the V!VAlicious Program
- Ensures food is ready to be served at required times
- Portions food to meet the Community Members dietary requirements
- Provide prompt, cooperative and friendly service to the Food Service Team
- Responsible for constant sanitation, organization, and proper food handling
- Maintain a clean and healthy work environment including participation in the cleaning of the kitchen
- Adhere to the V!VA Service Culture Standards while bringing your own natural personality to the position
- Report to work as scheduled and properly attired
- Protect own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety
- Actively participate in all training offered and seek opportunities to continue growing and learning and finding ways to contribute to Making Today Great! every day for everyone
- Live the Orange Dot V!VA Values and drive excellence in customer service throughout the community
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Previous work experience in restaurant, retirement community, hotel, and/or banquet facility
- Post-secondary education in a culinary program an asset
- Certificate – Food Safety Awareness Program, as approved by a Public Health Unit
- WHMIS certification an asset but not required
- Valid police reference check/Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to work flexible shifts and schedules, including weekends and some holidays
- Must possess a positive attitude and work well with other team members
- Must be able to stand, walk, lift, and bend for long periods of time
- Willing to follow direction and ask questions for clarification if needed
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage time effectively with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills; comfortable interacting with older adults
- Able to understand, articulate and live the V!VA Orange Dot Values
V!VA Retirement Communities welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process