Find your opportunity to Make Today Great!
If creativity, innovation, service and a chance to make a real difference in peoples’ lives are important to you, we want you on our team. Please see below for current job opportunities. While we thank all respondents, only those under consideration will be contacted.
You have a passion to raise the bar in the retirement industry. You are an energetic, motivated team player who is able to inspire others to provide the highest standards of performance and customer service within the Environmental team as a Bus Driver. You are an experienced Bus Driver, with knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services to older adults and other members of the public. You are committed to excellence in customer service, willing to learn and/or share your expertise and having fun.
At V!VA, we aren’t about grand statements or lofty ideals. We are a group of Canadians committed to bringing the right mix of people together to inspire each other and deliver the highest standards of customer service and performance in the retirement industry. At V!VA we put people first. We are looking for just the right person who shares V!VA’s mission – Making Today Great!
As the Sous Chef at V!VA Barrhaven Retirement Community, you will report to the Executive Chef and is responsible for managing and implementing all aspects of back of the house food services, in the absence of the Executive Chef, to meet the nutritional needs of Community Members in a way which they will appreciate for its taste and variety. Also ensures the safe and efficient preparation and delivery of food within legislative and fiscal constraints, and maintains records as directed.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Plans, organizes, and supervises the activities of the Food Service department, back of house, to provide high quality food service. Establishes and monitors workflow, evaluates performance and production, and makes changes as necessary to improve quality of service.
- Informs the Executive Chef of activities, issues and requirements.
- Participates in the tracking and ordering of food supplies. Organizes storage areas ensuring adherence to legislation and food safety standards.
- Ensures issues relating to Culinary Services are followed through and resolved, with cooperation from Community Members, families, other V!VA Team Members as necessary.
- Ensures effective direct contact and involvement in Community Member care. Ensures that Community Members’ input is sought and incorporated, through informal conversation, reporting by Team Members and more formal meetings and surveys.
- Establishes and maintains communication within the department and with other departments to ensure everyone’s needs are met.
- Attend Council Forum meetings as requested.
- Participates on the V!VAlicious Committee as requested.
- Ensures food is prepared in accordance with health guidelines, including administering regular testing for quality assurance (temperature, taste, etc). May also perform or arrange for swabs of food preparation area.
- Oversees and participates in the cooking and presentation of daily meals; works quickly and under pressure.
- Establishes, monitors and ensures that all cleaning duties are performed to meet all hygiene standards.
- Provides food service support for special events as required.
- Determines what specific training and certification is required for food handling Team Members and ensures that it is executed consistently.
- Conduct monthly, quarterly and annual audits as requested.
- Liaisons with Public Health, in the absence of the Executive Chef, and other key suppliers on a regular basis.
- Other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- Attends and contributes to all Culinary department meetings and applicable Community meetings (i.e. Town Hall Meetings).
- Assists the Executive Chef and Food Services Manager with developing departmental goals by providing input regarding the culinary department, V!VA Barrhaven operations, talent and training plan and Health & Safety/Risk plan.
- Implements, monitors, and achieves all approved departmental goals as set out.
Qualifications include but not limited to:
- Post Secondary education in Food Service.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing in large quantity, high quality food preparation. Experience with fine dining would be an asset.
- Red Seal designation is preferred
- Knowledge of regulations such as the Health and Safety Act, Food Handlers program etc.
- Some experience with seniors is desired.
- Knowledge in MS office (outlook, word, excel).
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and subordinates.
- Ability to manage their time effectively with little supervision.
- Up to date police check-vulnerable sector (verified annually).
- Valid CPR/First Aid is an asset.
- Ability to work as a Team Member, understanding the priorities of others.
- Able to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods. Able to lift a maximum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends.
- Available for call-ins.
V!VA Retirement Communities welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.