Retail Leadership Graduate Program
"What inspires me about my job is seeing the results. At the start it’s all about learning about consulting, but once you’ve nailed that, you start to see the bigger picture and the impact that you have on your customers’ lives, and in turn the impact that can have on your team’s success."
Laura Kennedy, 2014 Graduate
What is it?
Flight Centre Travel Group’s Retail Leadership Graduate Program is unlike any other on offer to University Graduates.
It is a structured and comprehensive 14 month program designed to provide future leaders with hands-on experience and understanding of the highly successful Flight Centre retail business model. You will enter the business as a Travel Sales Consultant and learn about all facets of retail sales, leadership and business management in the exciting travel industry. You will also have access to proven leaders to develop the skills required to run your very own retail business with an annual turnover of $6 million in as little as 12-18 months.
Some highlights of the program include:
- Attend our annual Graduate networking event with some of FCTG's most successful leaders (including CEO and founder Skroo Turner)
- Intensive training in professional sales, providing skills to lead teams to achieve their full potential and manage a successful business
- Projects designed to take your business acumen to the next level, such as developing business plans and running sales meetings
- Gaining your Certificate III in Tourism
- Ongoing support from our sales experts, senior leadership and support teams to grow your business and commercial acumen
“The great thing about the Grad Program is that it’s very structured and set up to help you learn and become the best leader possible. You get opportunities to do projects, such as how to develop a business plan, run your own business meeting, set team goals and visions, and get the best out of the people you lead. It’s really about giving you the best possible skills to run your own business.”
Ashleigh Whelan, 2013 Graduate
"One of the highlights of the program was getting to meet and network with senior leaders – that was really awesome. When you start in a business you don’t usually have exposure to such influential people. That was a privilege and really exciting."
Jayde Berry, 2013 Graduate
Am I eligible?
To enter the FCTG Retail Leadership Graduate Program, you will need to have completed a tertiary degree within the last three years, and hold a credit average or higher. We welcome interest from all disciplines.
You will also need to demonstrate a passion for business management, sales and leadership, along with a desire to deliver amazing travel experiences to your customers.
What does it take to succeed?
Got all of the above? Here’s the ‘extras’ we’re looking for that will really set you apart from the competition:
- A genuine commitment of ownership of your success in the program and within FCTG
- A desire to pursue professional development opportunities
- Dedication to delivering outstanding customer service with great interpersonal skills
- A love of travel and experience visiting a variety of overseas destinations
- Drive, determination and a strong work ethic, as well as an ability to lead by example
- Motivation to begin your leadership career in a retail sales role, involving a base plus commission remuneration structure
- Evidence of continual achievement in your pursuits, such as sporting successes, academic wins or overcoming obstacles
It is a lot of hard work. You have to be dedicated and passionate about travel but also leadership, because the Graduate Program will take you outside the business for training. Finding that balance between being in store to serve customers and make a profit for my own business, with having enough of a 'buffer' to leave and focus on training was a big challenge — but well worth it."
Jayde Berry, 2013 Graduate
What are the benefits?
As a participant in FCTG’s Retail Leadership Graduate Program you will have access to our senior Business Leaders and learn how to run your very own retail store capable of turning over in excess of $6 million, under the banner of one of the world’s most successful and well-recognised retail travel brands. From store leadership you will be on the right path to progress into an Area Leader or Nation Leader role across any of our profitable retail brands globally.
In terms of remuneration, during the program you will enjoy a base salary plus uncapped commissions on your sales, ensuring you are rewarded for your hard work. You will also have access to a $10,000 bursary paid out incrementally throughout the program, in recognition of reaching your milestones.
As an employee of Flight Centre Travel Group, you can also take advantage of our world renowned benefits including:
- Ongoing learning and professional development
- Global mobility opportunities
- Discounted travel
- Additional leave for educational travel
- Financial planning & discounted health insurance
- Corporate health & wellbeing services
"I thought that being a Travel Consultant was going to be an exciting job – I mean who doesn’t want to plan people’s holidays? It’s something that’s exciting to sell. I was also attracted to working for such a global brand – everyone knows about Flight Centre – so I knew that there was always going to be opportunities within the company. I do love sales, it has its ups and downs but you get a rush from it!"
Laura Kennedy, 2013 Graduate
About Flight Centre Travel Group
Flight Centre Travel Group is one of the world’s largest travel agency groups, with more than 2,500 leisure, corporate and wholesale businesses in 11 countries and 16,000 employees worldwide.
After starting with one shop over 30 years ago, we have enjoyed remarkable ongoing growth. Our rapidly expanding network now extends throughout Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Hong Kong, India, China, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates, providing travellers with a complete service.
With our outstanding track record, we're now pushing the boundaries of retailing in the travel industry. We're rolling out our concept 'Shop of the Future' Australia-wide which enhances the holiday shopping experience for customers in the digital age. And with plenty more innovations in the works, it's never been a better time to land a career with us!
A career with Flight Centre is more than just travel, if you are looking for the opportunity to fulfil your ambitions and get to the top with an industry leader, then join Flight Centre today.
Please note: You will be asked to upload a current resume during your application. This is a requirement to be considered; therefore please ensure you have this document prior to starting your application.