Team Leader Planning (Town Planning)
- Are you experienced with Resource Consents / RMA and looking to lead a team and join a progressive council?
- Enjoy an attractive salary circa $93,000 - $109,000 (premium salary negotiable for the right candidate) + flexible working arrangements!
- Relocation assistance negotiable for the right candidate!
Whanganui District Council provides services for the approximately 48,000 residents of the Whanganui District area, located on the southwest coast of the North Island of New Zealand. They are committed to protecting and preserving their exceptional heritage and beautiful environment whilst working with the community to drive significant social and economic growth.
We now have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Planner to join our tight-knit and welcome team as our newest Team Leader Planning (Town Planning) on a full-time basis. Working out of our Whanganui offices, you will oversee our team of Planners and ensure proposals and projects are implemented successfully.
Benefits on offer
In addition to the chance to join a passionate, vibrant workplace in this picturesque part of the North Island, you will receive an attractive salary circa $93,000 - $109,000 (premium salary negotiable for the right candidate). In addition, you will enjoy the following benefits including:
- Relocation assistance (negotiable for the right candidate);
- Ongoing training and development, including funded external training;
- Mentoring and coaching from other leaders within our organisation;
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Autonomy in your role; and
- Opportunity to be part of the Emergency Management response team.
Additionally, you will enjoy the great lifestyle Whanganui offers with a vibrant arts and cultural scene and access to fantastic outdoor recreational activities with mountains, national parks, rivers and the sea all at your doorstep.
Your next opportunity
Leading a small team of planners, Geographic Information System and Administration staff, you will work alongside the principal planner to oversee the process of planning the future development of the Whanganui district. The role also requires the successful candidate to lead the preservation of essential and productive areas within the district. The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Undertaking Long Term and Annual Planning and Amendment Process
- Overseeing the Hearing and Commissioner systems, including the preparation of hearing reports
- Preparation and presentation of District Plans and reports on the planning processes for key stakeholders
What you will bring to the role
With a tertiary qualification in planning or a similar discipline, you will ideally have completed a post-graduate qualification. Additionally, you will bring strong demonstrated experience with the district planning process and preferably membership of the New Zealand Planning Institute or an international equivalent.
Importantly, you will possess the following:
- Experience in people management & mentoring
- Experience with Resource consents and able to provide information and advice on resource management matters in accordance with District Plans and relevant legislation
- Able to prepare reports for Council in resource consent matters
- Understanding of Resource Management Act, Building Act, Local Government Act, Historic Places Act, Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act
- Prepare planning evidence for the Environment and District Courts.
Combining strong leadership and team-building skills with exceptional communication skills will enable you to direct your small, hard-working team in preparing and presenting reports for hearings and stakeholders.
Creative with the ability to develop unique solutions to complex problems, you will be proactive in your approach to the planning process, ensuring accountability for the outcomes achieved. Your strong knowledge of the Commissioner System and the Treaty of Waitangi will enable you to effectively apply both to the District Council's benefit.
You will adopt the Whanganui District Council's purpose; Sustaining, Supporting, Preserving and Protecting when undertaking the responsibilities of the role.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of Whanganui District Council, click Apply Now.