Community Development Advisor
- Are you a community leader wanting to make a difference in the lives of remote Aboriginal people?
- Join an Aboriginal Council representing the interests of around 2000 people in the Central Desert region of WA!
- Attractive base salary of $90,000+ PLUS free, fully furnished accommodation, utilities, return airfares and more!
About Ngaanyatjarra Council
Ngaanyatjarra Council Aboriginal Corporation (NCAC) was incorporated in 1981 with the aim of supporting the development of all Ngaanyatjarra people. At the core of this work was assisting the Ngaanyatjarra Communities to be strong and sustainable with reliable essential services, air transport, bookkeeping, agency and road transport, fuel distribution, health services, community services and improved housing.
The Ngaanyatjarra Council represents the interests of around 2000 Ngaanyatjarra, Pintupi and Pitjantjatjara people living in 12 communities in the Central Desert region of Western Australia.
Today, Ngaanyatjarra Council is one of the largest Indigenous Corporations in Australia and has grown to be the major representative body for the Ngaanyatjarra people.
About the Benefits
This is a unique opportunity to affect the lives of remote Aboriginal people as a leader in the community!
You will join a friendly and dynamic organisation with ongoing support and training. We will also be provide you with free, fully furnished accommodation and utilities.
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a generous salary in line with the size of the community you work within, at $90,000 plus super and 8 weeks' leave.
Ngaanyatjarra Council is also offering the successful candidate a host of outstanding benefits to help you enjoy life in the local community, including:
- Salary packaging;
- Annual District Allowance of $4,333;
- 17.5% leave loading on Annual Leave;
- Work vehicle for work use;
- An annual airfare allowance of $2,353;
- 3 additional airfare allowances at $700 each; and
- Support from our broader team in Perth and Alice Springs.
About the Opportunity
Ngaanyatjarra Council has a current opportunity for a Community Development Advisor to join their team, working on the Ngaanyatjarra Lands, WA, on a full-time, 2-year contract.
Reporting to the General Manager of Community Services & Development, you will be responsible for providing advice and guidance on all matters related to the administration of the community, ensuring the aspirations of the community are effectively achieved.
Your day-to-day duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Acting as the community administration contact point and providing regular advice to the community and local Council;
- Ensuring the effective recruitment, training and management of staff;
- Maintaining a financial system that meets the requirements of funding agencies, in cooperation with Ngaanyatjarra Services (NGS) and monitoring all relevant funds; and
- Encouraging community engagement in decision-making and working with the Community Council to develop policies for all areas of the community.
Ngaanyatjarra Council is open to candidates from a range of backgrounds, provided you have demonstrable leadership experience in the community sector and have lived and worked in a remote Aboriginal/Indigenous location previously.
Moreover, as you will be tasked with overseeing the functioning of an entire Aboriginal community, your strong commitment to the principles of Aboriginal self-determination and respect for Aboriginal culture must be of paramount importance.
You will also bring:
- With previous experience working in a remote Aboriginal/Indigenous location
- Resilience and self-awareness
- An ability to handle the unique challenges associated with working in an isolated, desert location
- A strong understanding of governance processes within similar communities.
You will also need to be comfortable engaging directly with local stakeholders and integrating yourself effectively as a community leader, influencing outcomes, respecting the need for local engagement and collaboration, and handling any conflicts as they arise.
Ideally, Ngaanyatjarra Council is looking for candidates who are patient with high-level time management and administrative skills, a well-rounded understanding of financial management, capable of leading and developing others, and a willingness to work extended hours to cater for community needs and requirements.
Please note: You will need a current, unrestricted Manual Driver's Licence prior to commencing employment.
Enjoy real job satisfaction as you see your leadership's impact on the community - Apply Now!