Feedlot Operations Manager - Opal Creek
Darling Downs Region, near Cecil Plains
- World’s largest, privately owned, vertically integrated, beef supply chain
- Convenient Darling Downs location, near Cecil Plains
The Australian Country Choice group of companies (ACC) are proud industry leaders in producing and supplying high quality beef products to major supermarket retailers and export markets. Being 100% Australian owned, we are the world’s largest, family operated, vertically integrated, beef supply chain. Our commitment to safety, quality and operational excellence is shared by our dedicated team of over 1300 employees across multiple cattle breeding, backgrounding, farming and lot feeding properties across Queensland, through to our state of the art food processing and value-add packing facility just east of Brisbane’s CBD. Learn more about our diverse operation here which spans over 5 million acres, carries up to 350,000 head of cattle and has the capacity to process up to 300,000 head every year.
It’s both an exciting and challenging time to be a part of ACC as our business model, customer base, service and delivery undergoes significant transformation.
About the role:
Reporting to the General Manager – Intensive Production, you’ll be responsible for ensuring safe, effective, efficient operations across our Livestock, Maintenance, Mill & Feeding team at Opal Creek, as well as:
- Ensuring compliance with quality accreditation standards
- Driving industry best practice in environmental and animal welfare practices
- Managing a safe place of work and promoting a safety culture
- Providing knowledge & support for livestock nutrition with consultation from industry leading consulting Nutritionist and environmental conditions unique to feedlots
- Coaching, mentoring and development of managers and their staff
- Managing & prioritizing infrastructure maintenance and repairs
- Overseeing livestock data systems
- Staff recruitment and retention
- Management of staff facilities, onsite accommodation and dining
- Contractor management
- Stakeholder management and engagement to achieve business objectives
- Effective management of feedlot stocks & commodities
- Preparation financials, budget and report
- Financial management and accountability for operational and capital expenditure
Ideally, you’ll have demonstrated success in a senior role within a Feedlot and be familiar with contemporary management practices relating to quality, safety, people and livestock along with:
- Practical understanding of food safety, quality and compliance requirements and its application in a feedlot environment
- Ability to lead, manage and mentor a team of engaged, motivated and capable operators
- Expert knowledge across range of specialties, eg: livestock, production, feeding, animal nutrition & infrastructure maintenance etc.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving ability
- Sound judgement & decision making skills
- Practical understanding of workplace health and safety requirements, systems and management
- Strong computer literacy and experience in livestock data systems
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to relate to a range of stakeholders
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in animal science or agribusiness is highly desirable
We offer the security of a corporate environment with the personal touch of a family business. You’ll be provided with career development opportunities across our fully integrated, beef supply chain. Comfortable family accommodation and an attractive salary package is available for the ideal candidate.
This is an ideal role for a self-motivated, results driven professional who thrives in a constantly changing and challenging environment!
At ACC we’ve earned our stripes as masters of our craft & continue to deliver the highest standards in safety, customer, investment in innovation and capability of our people to ensure ongoing operational excellence. Our need to “Be Right” is actively driven by the behaviors that underpin our values of belief, energy, responsibility, integrity, grit, humility & team. Apply now & earn your stripes with us.