Erosion and Sediment Education Officer
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, half-way between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 54 residential suburbs, and population of 395,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 612,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
Blacktown City Council strives to be an inclusive workplace for all people. We welcome and encourage applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities.
About the opportunity
Term contract position available for a period of 5 years.
Are you determined to improve environmental outcomes in construction and development projects, and well skilled to do this? If you answer ‘yes’, we want you to apply.
We are seeking a highly motivated, appropriately experienced and qualified professional to join our team, to implement and activate Council’s Clean Creeks Education Program. We need someone with great communication and negotiation skills to help us engage with builders, developers and other stakeholders, to prevent erosion and sediment flow at construction and development sites in the Blacktown City area.
This is an opportunity for the right person to help minimise environmental impacts of construction and new development in one of Sydney's fastest growing and most populated local government areas. You will provide expert advice to developers, contractors and other personnel to facilitate compliance with legislation, regulations and environmental guidelines in construction and new development across Blacktown City.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Environmental management, sustainability or related field, or equivalent qualification from an advanced tertiary institution
- Solid working experience in the development of environmental education materials, strategies, policies and programs related to the environmental field of work
- Demonstrated high-level oral and written communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations, write strategies, education materials and reports
- Current class C drivers licence
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively work with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and regulations
- Computer literacy in basic Microsoft Office applications and the ability to quickly learn corporate applications
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Relevant local government experience
- Excellent knowledge and application of best practice erosion and sediment control measures
- Sound knowledge of environmental legislative requirements for the building industry
- Experience in managing a budget.
Remuneration and benefits
The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Blacktown City Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- A competitive salary range of $1,507.80 - $1,688.70 (Grade 12) per week will be offered based on skills, qualifications and experience
- 35 hour working week
- Opportunity to participate in Council's flextime arrangement
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 9.5% employer superannuation contribution payable to the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, Fitness Passport and gym membership discounts, and social clubs.
Our commitment to safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random tests, tests where there may be reasonable suspicion and / or post reportable incident testing for Council workers.
Click here to view or download the position description.
APPLY NOW USING OUR FAST, EASY TO USE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Have your resume and any other relevant documentation ready to attach.
- Have a personal email address ready to use and complete your application without 'logging-out' of the system.
- Review the questions and decide on your responses before commencing your application.
Best of luck.
Closing Date: Friday 26 February 2021, 11.30pm
Contact Officer: Barry Manor - firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERNAL REF: Term Contract 5 years