Recreation Assistant - part time
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, half-way between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 54 residential suburbs, and population of 395,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 612,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
Blacktown City Council strives to be an inclusive workplace for all people. We welcome and encourage applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities.
About the Opportunity
Permanent, part-time position
An excellent opportunity exists for a suitably experienced and qualified person to join Council's Community Development section delivering both recreational and cultural programs for young people at the Emerton Youth Recreation Centre (EYRC).
The successful applicant will provide comprehensive and inclusive, active and passive recreation programmes, that will encourage young people to use the Emerton Youth Recreation Centre (EYRC) for sport, leisure and recreational purposes with a particular focus on Sporting experiences. You will also be responsible for the ongoing provision of information to the Recreation Supervisor on funding programs and initiatives available to Council for the continual development of programs and services at the Centre.
Applicant must have the ability to work flexible hours including evenings and Saturdays if required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Youth Work and/or Visual Arts, Sport, Recreation, Leisure Studies or related discipline
- Two (2) years relevant experience working with young people in conducting recreational programs, especially of an indoor nature
- Current Class 'C' Driver's Licence
- Senior First Aid Certificate.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation/regulations
- Computer Literate
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to communicate, negotiate and supervise young people
- Availability to work flexible working hours, including evenings and regular weekends.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive salary range of $1,265.50 - $1,417.40 (Grade 8) pro rata per week will be offered based on qualifications or experience
- 17.5 hours per week (a span of hours between 1pm and 9pm, Tuesday - Saturday)
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 9.5% employer superannuation contribution payable to the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, Fitness Passport and gym membership discounts, and social clubs.
Our commitment to safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random tests, tests where there may be reasonable suspicion and / or post reportable incident testing for Council workers.
Click here to view or download the position description.
APPLY NOW USING OUR FAST, EASY TO USE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Have your resume and any other relevant documentation ready to attach.
- Have a personal email address ready to use and complete your application without 'logging-out' of the system.
- Review the questions and decide on your responses before commencing your application.
Best of luck.
Closing Date: Friday 26 February 2021, 11.30pm
Contact Officer: Vanessa Simmonds 0434 600 683
INTERNAL REF: BCC1216