Transport Team Leader
We have a rare opportunity for a confident and motivated Transport Team Leader to join our Supply Chain & Logistics team based in Sydney or Port Kembla. Reporting to the Logistics Manager – NSW, you’ll lead a team of truck drivers to deliver our products safely and on time to our customers.
No two days will be the same as you work with everyone from customers and allocations to maintenance and service providers to support your team. You’ll use your exceptional organisational skills and sound judgement to quickly resolve issues as they arise, anticipate potential risks and juggle those inevitable conflicting priorities. As we introduce new technologies and processes into the fleet, your confidence in managing change will play a role in their success. With great communication skills and a natural ability to build relationships, you’ll quickly make a difference to the NSW team.
About the role:
As a Transport Team Leader in Port Kembla or Clyde you will:
- Ensure compliance with Workplace Health and Safety legislation, company policies and inductions to achieve Zero Harm to the environment and internal and external customers
- Organise and lead truck drivers to ensure deliveries are performed optimally and on time. Track progress of your assigned fleet and report problems or improvement opportunities regularly to the central planning department.
- Coach and mentor drivers to maintain a high performing and collaborative team with customer service excellence
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities and implement best practice in cost management, safety and fleet/workforce management
- Provide a high quality, cost effective service that exceeds customer expectations and returns nil customer complaints
- Plan drivers and vehicle availability in advance and update the central planning team each day on all shift start times, driver numbers and truck availability as directed.
- Participate in the daily schedule review meetings to achieve the optimal asset deployment
- Prepare and deliver regular toolbox meetings with drivers that are engaging and encourage meaningful participation
- Ensure NSW Road Transport operations comply with all relevant legislation - CoR, NHVAS including BFM, Mass and Maintenance and where necessary organise vehicle services and breakdowns to ensure they meet required legislations
- Manage labour (LOD, company and contract) to minimise wastage and maximise utilisation
- Previous experience managing a team of drivers, ideally for a fleet of heavy vehicles in road transport
- Solid understanding, interpretation and experience with NHVL, CoR, NSW Workplace Health and Safety, and Environment legislation
- Demonstrated commitment to the practical application and education of safety
- Experience managing contractors and 3rd party logistics
- Ability to prioritise workload whilst in a fast pace environment
- Excellent communication skills with strong leadership capability
- Ability to work autonomously, operate with sound judgement in a high pressure environment
- Intermediate or above IT skills with strong Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Demonstrated experience in SAP would be an advantage
- Basic knowledge and experience in dealing with budgets and cost management
Why work for Cement Australia:
- Australia’s largest and most respected cement manufacturer
- Manage a large team of drivers
- Opportunity to operate autonomously in a team environment
- Join an industry considered an "essential service"
- Well established supply chain network
An icon of the Australian cement industry, Cement Australia is the nation’s leading supplier of cementitious products and services.
Whilst cement is in the name, the business portfolio is diverse, comprising a series of heavy industrial manufacturing operations, coal and limestone mines, bulk distribution transport fleet, rail and shipping interactions and hazardous waste treatment and alternative fuel production (Geocycle).
As an organisation, we offer our employees work-life balance, a close-knit and collaborative team whilst providing you with the tools and opportunity to make your mark. Our vision is to create a safe, healthy, productive and sustainable business and we are looking for like-minded professionals who align with our company values.
As part of the recruitment process you will be required to complete a pre-employment medical and a background check.
Cement Australia is an Equal Opportunity employer and open to residents of Australia with valid working rights.
Please apply directly as submissions from third party agencies will not be accepted at this time.
Build your dream career and lifestyle with Australia’s largest and most respected cement manufacturer and innovator.