HR Driver – One Man Collection, Sideloader – Waste Services (Internal Only)
- Are you looking to build upon your waste collection and driving experience?
- Share your civic pride by keeping our city clean and tidy.
- Permanent full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is now seeking a dedicated and reliable Sideloader Driver with an HR license to join our Waste and Commercial Collections team, with a focus on safety, high-quality customer service outcomes and operational efficiency, incuding an emphasis on continuous improvement.
This is a key frontline collections position and is critical to the effective provision of collections services to the community. As the successful candidate you’ll be a team player who also enjoys working independently. You’ll operate dual control side loading waste collection vehicles, and will be responsible for bin manoeuvring, bin retrieval, bin replacement, and cleaning up of spilt waste, etc.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Class HR driver’s licence.
- Moderate experience in utilising dual control side loading waste collection vehicles, including (but not necessarily limited to) the safe, competent and efficient operation of a side loading waste collection vehicle, bin manoeuvring, bin retrieval and bin replacement (e.g. to facilitate safe access and / or customer service requirements, etc), cleaning up of spilt waste, etc.
- Flexibility to work public holidays (as required) as well as undertake reasonable overtime (when available).
- Working knowledge of relevant WHS requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid literacy and numeracy skills, including moderate computer skills.
- A solid level of written and oral communication skills.
- High customer service focus and commitment to continuous improvement, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and residents.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Ability to follow collection route maps and work sheets, both written and electronic.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Familiarity with the City of Newcastle local government area.
- Previous experience with the operation and use of GPS in-vehicle routing / scheduling / reporting software systems.
- Experience with the operation of rear loading waste collection vehicles, including (but not necessarily limited to) the safe, competent and efficient operation of a rearloading waste collection heavy vehicle, bin manoeuvring, bin emptying (two and four wheeled), loading / collection of bulky goods and operation of mechanical waste bin collection aids (e.g. bin lifters, lifting frames, etc) and mobile waste compaction equipment.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 28 February 2021.
Remuneration: $61,676.55 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: David Thomas, Waste and Commercial Collection Manager, 02 4974 6046.