Casual Direct Support Worker
- Casual Positions
- Three (3) levels of service
- From $23.83 to $27.02 per hour (plus casual loading, super and allowances)
Do you want to be part of something challenging and rewarding? Are you passionate about our community? If so, joining the Glen Innes Severn Council might be the right career move for you.
Working for Council means you'll be joining a dedicated team where your individual effort is part of something much bigger – delivering great things for our community.
The Council covers an area of 5,487km2, and is located in the beautiful New England area of NSW. This area encompasses the town of Glen Innes and villages of Deepwater, Emmaville, Glencoe, Wellingrove and Red Range. We're proud of the contribution our community makes to this vibrant, dynamic and attractive area in which to live and work.
Glen Innes offers an attractive lifestyle including a well serviced and friendly rural community, laid back living, short commuting times, affordable housing, easy access to NSW north coast beaches and larger regional centres, and terrific recreational and sporting facilities.
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
As part of our team you will have the opportunity to make a real difference to our community, working with a diverse range of passionate, supportive and engaging people within a collaborative environment. You will also be part of a workplace that offers competitive employee benefits and opportunities and encourages professional development including:
- Salary packaging (including novated motor vehicle leasing and remote area housing benefits) for all permanent staff
- Long service leave after 5 years
- Corporate wellbeing programs
- PPE supplied
- Training and development programs
- Education assistance
There are three (3) levels of Direct Support Worker:
- Domestic - provides domestic support to people who are older and people with a disability, to facilitate quality of life and maximum independence in their own home
- General - provides general support to people who are older and people with a disability, to facilitate quality of life and maximum independence in their own home
- Clinical - provides advanced person-centred direct support to people who are older and people with a disability, to facilitate choice, control and promotion of independence in their own home
Working in Council’s Life Choices - Support Services team, these positions will provide support to people who are older and people who have a disability.
Reporting to the Team Leader Direct Support, you will:
- Implement specific care routines as set out in individual consumer support plans (within the limits of the job holder’s skill levels and training), which may include in home respite, domestic assistance and community access, to facilitate planned, coordinated assistance for consumer(s) and in accordance with training and safety standards.
- Provide support in areas such as promoting and assisting with safe living skills that will enhance the consumer’s quality of life, in an environment that empowers them and encourages independence, control and reablement.
- Maintain an awareness of policies, procedures, standards and guidelines relevant to area of responsibility and ensures their correct implementation, in consultation with the supervisor, in particular the Direct Support Domestic Service Standard.
- Implement specific domestic assistance as set out in individual consumer support plans (within the limits of the job holder’s skill levels and training) to facilitate planned, coordinated assistance for consumer(s) and in accordance with individual enablement and reablement goals
- Maintain a professional relationship with consumers, their carers and families and refrains from making personal suggestions or giving personal advice on perceived consumer needs.
- Accompany and assist consumers during activities, including driving vehicles to transport consumers to and from their homes or to activity venues as required.
Please note: A full list of accountabilities is located within the attached Information Package
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Specifically, you will have the following as a minimum:
- Demonstrated practical awareness of policies and procedures, relevant to area of responsibility and ensures their correct implementation, in consultation with the supervisor
- Demonstrated practical knowledge and understanding of privacy, confidentiality, professional boundaries and consumer support
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in an inclusive and supportive environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills and the ability to relate to people of all abilities
- Current Class C Drivers Licence
- An ability to work evenings and weekends as required
- Certificate III in Individual Support, or a related field/willingness to obtain a qualification
- Previous experience in residential/commercial cleaning work
- Previous experience/skills in working with people with dementia and/or people who have a disability
- Current First Aid Certificate (willingness to obtain)
- Current NSW Working with Children Check (willingness to obtain prior to commencement)
HOW TO APPLY
- Carefully read the Information Package to familiarise yourself with the role and application process
- Position specific enquiries may be directed to Candy Lockwood on (02) 6730 2435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enquiries relating to the application process may be directed to Helen Stapleton on (02) 6730 2303 or email email@example.com
- Please note that as part of Glen Innes Severn Council's recruitment process, prior to an offer of employment being made, recommended candidates will be required to undertake referee checks, police checks and a functional assessment with Council’s physiotherapist.
- All candidates will be notified of the outcome via the email address you supply as part of your application.
Council is an EEO employer. Women, Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders, people with a disability, and members of racial, ethnic, and ethno-religious minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Craig Bennett - General Manager
Promoting a safe and healthy workplace