Team Leader - Financial Accounting
About the MidCoast Region
From lakes and estuaries to white sandy beaches to world heritage mountain wilderness, the MidCoast region offers an attractive lifestyle for everyone. Our community is characterised by its welcoming attitude, growing economy and natural beauty. These are the pillars of the quality of life we value. To find out more about our beautiful region click here.
At MidCoast Council our people are our most important asset and we believe that we can only reach our full potential when you reach yours. This is the place for those who seek to play a role in the community and have an enthusiasm to learn and grow. Here you can make a real difference.
Our community is our customer and is at the centre of everything we do. We value, support and empower our people to deliver positive results for our community.
Right now, we are investing heavily in our organisation, and our people. Our Administration Centre has relocated to a brand-new state of the art facility designed to inspire innovation, creativity and collaboration. The building has been named ‘Yalawanyi Ganya’ which means “sitting/meeting place” in the Gathang language of the indigenous people across the MidCoast Region.
The role & you
The Team Leader Financial Accounting role is responsible for leading the Financial Accounting team and managing the Financial Accounting function, including supervision of the team to ensure the achievement of outcomes in line with organisation and department strategies, objectives, vision and values.
The Financial Accounting team is responsible for the capture of all financial transactions and the subsequent preparation of Council’s Annual Financial Reports in accordance with Australian Accounting Standards, legislation and guidelines.
Your exceptional technical expertise will be complemented by your demonstrated leadership skillset as you manage a small team of professionals to achieve and deliver the required outcomes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leadership and management of staff including supervision, coaching and development, work planning, performance management, change management and staff recruitment.
- Ensure all functions and responsibilities of the Financial Accounting Team are completed within adopted timeframes.
- Support other Financial Accounting team staff through knowledge transfer and with assistance with workloads to meet deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Prepare Council’s Annual Financial Reports (for review) in accordance with Australian Accounting Standards, legislation and guidelines ensuring audit requirements by way of accounting policy papers, reconciliations and workpapers are finalised and available per agreed timetable.
- Prepare other statutory financial reporting requirements including comparative data, performance benchmarking (PWC), ABS. IPART and ATO surveys etc for review and lodgement.
- Manage Council’s Treasury functions including Council’s cash, investment portfolio and loan borrowings in accordance with adopted policy and procedures.
- Ensure that external information / valuations / returns / confirmations are obtained to support balances and disclosures made within the financial statements, eg investment property valuations, Related Party Disclosures, asset and impairment confirmations etc.
- Maintain the risk management / internal control environment in relation to the operations of the Financial Accounting Team, ensuring appropriate controls, policies and procedures are in place and up to date.
If you are ready to take your next leadership step, we’d like to talk with you.
The package: Commencing salary package circa $95,000 p.a. to $105,000 p.a. plus superannuation.
Location: This position will be based at our Administration Centre in Yalawanyi Ganya at 2 Biripi Way, Taree. You may also be required to be based from other Council sites across the MidCoast Council region.
Tenure: Permanent, Full Time.
How to apply:
- Before applying please review the POSITION DESCRIPTION
- When responding to the questions, please include detailed relevant examples of your skills and experience.
- We recommend you prepare your responses to each selection criteria in a separate Word document and once complete copy your separate responses into the relevant section of the application form.
- Click the "NEXT" button at the bottom of the first page of the application form to attach your resume.
- You will be able to review your application before submitting it.
- We will be in touch via email.
At MidCoast Council, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities. Our aim is to provide all of our staff with an inclusive, safe and healthy working environment.
For enquiries regarding the application process contact Corinne Matlawski, Senior Human Resources Business Partner on 02 7955 7275.
For questions relating to the position requirements please contact Phil Brennan, Manager Finance on 02 7955 7287.
Closing date: Sunday 28 November 2021 at 11:30pm.