Circular Economy Strategy Officer
Full Time Fixed Term Position until June 2023
Salary Range $96,640 to $108,020 per annum + 10.5% Super + RDO
About Melton City Council
The City of Melton is a community where everyone belongs. Ours is a vibrant and diverse municipality—one of the fastest developing in Australia. Our organisation strives to provide our community with state-of-the-art amenity and facilities, engaging health and wellbeing options, and support to become active members of our Lifelong Learning City.
We invest in innovation, offering professional and personal development, and generous leave and flexibility to staff, while also fostering a collaborative and inclusive culture. You’ll be able to work close to home in a dynamic setting featuring cafes and retail options set amongst heritage buildings and open green spaces.
We are getting closer to a circular economy, the City of Melton is looking for a motivated and innovated Circular Economy Strategy Officer, with experience in strategy and policy development.
Working within the Environment & Waste team the successful applicant will primarily be assisting with commencement of a Circular Economy & Resource Recovery Strategy, assessment and guidance on the implementation of the Container Deposit Scheme and existing landfill sites within Melton.
- Design, deliver and evaluate projects, campaigns, new initiatives, strategies and programs relating to circular economy, resource recovery, recycling and waste reduction and diversion to improve current practices and address changes in best practice.
- Assist with the implementation of Council strategies and policies, including the Environment Plan, where they relate to waste diversion/reduction, circular economy and resource recovery.
- Stay updated on relevant policy and legislation changes and grant opportunities, and assist in the preparation of responses, submissions and applications where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to assist with the implementation of strategies and policies.
- Assist with the development of education and behaviour change engagement plan and other education activities.
- Assist with the review and provide technical advice relating to waste services and opportunities for best practice resource recovery initiatives for Council projects, Precinct Structure Plans, Development Plans and planning applications.
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Tertiary Qualification in a technical area with substantial experience, or, formal qualifications with extensive waste management experience or proven experience in a similar role.
- Understanding of the national, state, regional and local policy context for environmental sustainability, waste management, resource recovery, circular economy and emerging innovations, relevant to local government.
- Significant experience in the development of policy and strategy relating to waste and resource recovery.
- Experience in the design, delivery, reporting and evaluation of community waste and/or resource recovery educations and engagement projects.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate in an effective and positive manner to enable organisational and community behaviour change.
- Demonstrated high standard of written and oral communication.
Culture and Values
Our vision for our community is to be: "A vibrant, safe and liveable city accessible to all" and that means there’s a place here for you too. Our organisational values represent us as an established growth Council and the values are reflected in everything we do; our decision-making, our actions and our service provision to the community. Council has a diverse and vibrant organisation and we’d love to have you join us to help shape a city for the future.
We are Vibrant MELTON. Our values are:
There are a number of great reasons why our people love working at Melton City Council:
- 19 Day Month
- Flexible Working Hours
- Extensive Career Development & Leadership Programs
- Family Room available including Breastfeeding Facilities (Melton City Council | Australian Breastfeeding Association)
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Subsidised Uniforms
To read more about our benefits visit https://meltoncity-staff-benefits.applynow.net.au/
How To Apply
If you require further information about the position, please contact Justin Horne, Manager Environment & Waste on 9747 7163 or Sarah Taylor on 9747 5294 (alternate contact between 16th to 23rd September)
To view the Position Description, click here.
Applications must include a Resume and address the Key Selection Criteria outlining your suitability to the role .
We encourage you to use the STAR approach when writing your responses to the selection criteria.
Situation (Task) – provide a brief outline of the situation or task?
Action – what did you do in response to the situation or task?
Result – what was the result of your action?
To address the Key Selection Criteria you will need to write short statements explaining how you meet the criteria, or how you demonstrate the capability. We encourage you to keep your responses concise.
Applications submitted via email, after the closing date and/or that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be considered.
Successful applicants must comply with COVID-19 Public Health Orders applicable to Local Government employees and Council’s COVID-19 vaccination policy which require employees to provide documentary evidence of their vaccination status before attending the workplace.
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 30 September 2022
To be eligible for employment at Melton City Council you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or be legally entitled to work in Australia.
We strongly encourage job applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTIQA+ and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Melton City Council is committed to being a child safe organisation and has Zero tolerance for child abuse. Melton City Council is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organisation where protecting children and preventing and responding to child abuse is at the centre of our everyday thinking and service delivery. Please note, we undertake several screening process to ensure this commitment is upheld, this includes ensuring the successful candidate to this position holds a valid employee working with children/vulnerable people check and satisfactory criminal history record check