Municipal Building Surveyor
|Job Type||Negotiable Part Time or Full Time Hours|
|Position Description||Municipal Building Surveyor|
We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
About this role
As Council’s principal advisor on matters relating to Building Legislation, Acts and Regulations, this position provides leadership and guidance to ensure Councils’ obligations under the relevant building legislation and compliance services are fulfilled and building matters are professionally and fairly administered throughout the municipality.
Council will work with the successful candidate to develop a flexible work arrangement.
- Deliver a range of quality building regulatory services including:
- provision of technical advice, guidance and direction on procedural and legislative matters relating to the building industry;
- provision of a range of assessments, approvals and reports to Council on delegated statutory obligations under the Building Act;
- provision of sound and timely advice to Council in matters related to building compliance and enforcement and representation of Council at building related tribunals, appeals and legislative hearings; and
- establishment and monitoring of clear and precise performance standards for the Development and Building department and contractors.
- Provide advice and support to the Coordinator Development Services, Manager Community Safety & Amenity, Director Infrastructure, CEO, Council and other areas of Council on building regulatory matters and operational issues,
- Regularly liaise, communicate and negotiate with government departments, agencies and other relevant bodies to keep abreast of changing legislative and practice requirements for building/development assessment.
- Meet with various stakeholders of the development process and provide professional input to help inform all parties and negotiate understood and equitable outcomes, including public information sessions
- Provide regular reporting on building approval statistics, including results of inspections and compliance and promotion of legislative requirements in the community
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
- Relevant registration and certification to work as a Building Surveyor Unlimited
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of legislation, regulations and codes which control building and development and the ability to provide recommendations in a timely manner
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work effectively within a sensitive and political context, collaborating with a range of stakeholders to resolve complex issues.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page, including completing the selection criteria questions
If you'd like to know more contact Stephanie Burns, People and Culture Officer at email@example.com or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 9 August 2021.
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer