Building Inspector Unlimited
|Job Type||Full Time - Permanent|
|Package||$90,961 per annum|
|Position Description||Building Inspector Unlimited|
We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
About this role
Provide statutory building assessments and inspections on behalf of the Northern Grampians Shire Council. Under delegation from the Municipal Building Surveyor the position assists with:
- The regulation of the construction, alteration, demolition or maintenance of buildings.
- The development, implementation and continuous improvement of a prompt, courteous and efficient customer focused building surveying service.
- Supporting the development of a skilled regulatory team and to ensure continuity of delivery of building services.
Building Regulation Services
- Provide specialised professional and technical advice to builders, designers and general public on behalf of the Municipal Building Surveyor on the maintenance of essential safety measure compliance in buildings, temporary structures, and any other inspections, in accordance with the Building Act, Building Regulations, Building Code of Australia and council policy.
- Undertake all necessary building inspections relating to illegal building works to ensure compliance with the Building Act, Building Regulations and associated standards, and prepare building notices and orders where building works do not comply.
- Receive and prepare building permit applications to undertake plan assessments, assist with building inspections, record keeping and preparing completed permits for the issue of certificate of occupancy or certificate of final inspection.
- Mentor and assist Cadets in all aspects of the inspection process in the office and on site
Building Compliance and Enforcement
- Respond appropriately to complaints received regarding building regulations compliance matters.
- Effectively contribute to ongoing Building Enforcement to achieve necessary compliance against breaches under the Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2018, including, all necessary building inspections, completion of accurate documentation, preparation of notices and orders, and assistance with prosecutions.
- Assist in maintenance of the swimming pool register and other Council building registers, as required under legislation
- Liaise with the public and personnel involved in the building industry to offer advice and assistance with building related inquiries and building control matters within the position’s scope.
- Liaise with relevant statutory bodies and other rural Councils to facilitate successful building information events, including the booking of venues, presenters, advertising and catering.
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
Qualifications and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Building Surveying or relevant discipline required, with previous relevant experience, preferably in a Local Government environment.
- Registration with the Victorian Building Practitioners Board, as a building inspector unlimited.
- Experience in using various computer software packages to process applications.
- Proven ability to interpret relevant regulations and legislation and to apply the principles to practice.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports and prepare external correspondence to a high level.
- Proven ability to undertake and complete accurate documentation of building site inspections for compliance and enforcement purposes.
- A commitment to teamwork and the ability to contribute to team development including assisting other staff members.
- Ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders to discuss and resolve specialist problems in relation to building inspections and compliance.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you'd like to know more contact Stephanie Burns, People and Culture Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 09th August 2021
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer