Maintenance Employee/Plant Operator - St Arnaud
|Job Type||Full Time - Permanent|
|Package||$55,700 per annum|
|Position Description||Maintenance Employee/Plant Operator|
Northern Grampians Shire Council values community spirit, innovation and collaboration. We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations.
About this role
This position is based at the St Arnaud Works Depot and is responsible for maintaining, repairing and servicing Council’s properties and equipment and to perform various specialised duties in accordance with directions given by the Team Leader Works to assist in Council's maintenance programs.
- Undertake routine and scheduled patrol maintenance on Council’s roads, streets, footpaths, drains and other physical assets, ensuring work is undertaken in accordance with adopted standards, safe working practices and quality of work performed.
- Record daily activity sheets as to work performed and defects/faults observed.
- Estimate quantities and requisition materials as required.
- Install, repair or replace signs as directed by Team Leader Works.
- Take charge of any plant and equipment allocated to the work and carry out regular (minimum daily) checks of oil, fuel, coolants, tyres, belts, etc. - reporting problems to the mechanic.
- React immediately to overcome problems observed either by undertaking maintenance of road seals, pavements, shoulders, drainage systems (table drains, culverts and bridges), furniture (posts and signs) and removing obstructions to traffic or drainage (fallen limbs/trees or re-growth) if within the limits of personal skill, competence and training or by making an immediate report to the Team Leader Works.
- Carry out all duties directed by the Team Leader Works as are within the limits of your skill, competence and training.
Demonstrated understanding of;
- safety in the workplace
- manual handling techniques applicable to the position
- plant/equipment maintenance and care requirements
- road maintenance techniques:-
- bitumen/asphalt repairs
- road drainage maintenance
- trench maintenance
- road furniture maintenance
- chainsaw safety
- road signing and safety
- a certificate of competency in the operation of heavy plant items issued by the Occupational Health and Safety Authority or demonstrated competency.
- A demonstrated ability to undertake routine maintenance and running repairs on plant and equipment applicable to this position.
- A demonstrated ability in the maintenance of roads, streets, footpaths, drains and street furniture.
- A certificate of competency in heavy plant operation relevant to maintenance activities.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Address the 'selection criteria', attach a cover letter, resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you'd like to know more contact Mick McQueen, Coordinator Infrastructure Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 20 September 2021.
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer