Senior Planning Officer
|Job Type||Full Time - Permanent|
|Package||$90,961.48 per annum|
|Position Description||Senior Planning Officer|
We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
About this role
The position provides key support and advice to the Planning Team to ensure efficient and effective customer focussed statutory planning services to the Northern Grampians Shire. This position will work with the Coordinator Sustainable Development to:
- Ensure a consistent, professional and high-level approach that implements and reflects the objectives and policies of Council.
- Provide high quality specialist services, guidance and advice in all facets of statutory planning, subdivision and enforcement support in line with the responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Contribute to the success of the Department through active teamwork, providing a high level of customer service and effective performance in the responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Provide key support and high-level assistance in the identification and review of innovative and practical statutory planning tools and solutions to enhance development within the Shire.
- Supervise and mentor planning officers including checking reports for accuracy and compliance with legislative and Council and State policy requirements.
- Assist in the identification and implementation of innovative and practical planning solutions to enhance future development within the Shire.
- Assess, processes and report on planning and subdivision applications in accordance with the requirements of the Northern Grampians Planning Scheme, Planning and Environment Act 1987, Subdivision Act 1988, and other relevant legislation within statutory timeframes.
- Prepare planning reports and correspondence as required, including Council reports, and Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal submissions and present reports at Council meetings
- Represent Council at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal hearings, as appropriate.
- Assist applicants to resolve issues and achieve better land use and development outcomes for the community.
- Investigate alleged breaches of the Northern Grampians Planning Scheme and undertake relevant enforcement action having regard to the relevant Act/s, regulation, Council policy.
- Undertake compliance inspections as required to ensure developments are undertaken in accordance with relevant approvals.
- Contribute towards the formulation and implementation of strategic land-use policy.
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
- Tertiary qualifications in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or a related discipline with relevant experience, preferably within local government.
- Thorough knowledge of Victoria's planning system, including the Victorian Planning Provisions, enforcement procedures, Planning and Environment Act 1987 and Subdivision Act 1988.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and the ability to handle customer enquiries in a courteous, sensitive and effective manner.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills to produce cooperative outcomes in a team environment and the ability to develop and gain cooperation and assistance from others.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to prepare clear and concise reports, together with well-developed skills in mediation and conflict resolution.
- Effective time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritise competing tasks.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you'd like to know more contact David George, Manager Community Safety & Amenity at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 25 October 2021
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer