Statutory Planning Officer
|Job Type||Full Time Permanent|
|Package||$81,105.58 per annum|
|Position Description||Statutory Planning Officer|
We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
About this role
Northern Grampians Shire Council is seeking either a graduate or experienced Statutory Planning Officer to join our team. This position will provide an efficient and effective customer focused statutory planning service to the community that will encourage the sustainable growth and vitality of the municipality.
- Assist in the identification and implementation of innovative and practical planning solutions to enhance future development within the Shire.
- Assess, processes and report on planning and subdivision applications in accordance with the requirements of the Northern Grampians Planning Scheme, Planning and Environment Act 1987, Subdivision Act 1988, and other relevant legislation within statutory timeframes.
- Prepare planning reports and correspondence as required, including Council reports, and Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal submissions..
- Represent Council at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal hearings, as appropriate.
- Provide prompt, clear, consistent and professional technical and general advice on planning processes and Planning Scheme requirements within the areas of delegated authority to applicants and the community on planning and subdivision matters
- Arrange and attend meetings concerning planning applications and projects, provide advice and direction to facilitate the planning process in an efficient and effective manner.
- Assist applicants to resolve issues and achieve better land use and development outcomes for the community.
- Arrange and attend formal mediation meetings with applicants and objectors and facilitate where possible the resolution of land use and development issues. Conduct high quality stakeholder consultation for planning proposals when required.
- Deliver and facilitate an integrated development approvals response across the organisation.
- Investigate alleged breaches of the Northern Grampians Planning Scheme and undertake relevant enforcement action having regard to the relevant Act/s, regulation, Council policy.
- Undertake compliance inspections as required to ensure developments are undertaken in accordance with relevant approvals.
- Process applications for subdivision in accordance with relevant Acts, Regulations, Local Laws, Council Policies and Planning Controls.
- Coordinate workflows to work cooperatively with others in the department to resolve issues.
- Contribute ideas and be involved in the implementation of systems and process improvements.
- Contribute towards the formulation and implementation of strategic land-use policy.
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
- Tertiary qualifications in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or a related discipline with some relevant experience, preferably within local government.
- Thorough knowledge of Victoria's planning system, including the Victorian Planning Provisions, enforcement procedures, Planning and Environment Act 1987 and Subdivision Act 1988.
- Effective communication and problem solving skills to produce cooperative outcomes in a team environment and the ability to develop and gain cooperation and assistance from others.
- Well developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to prepare clear and concise reports, together with well developed skills in mediation and conflict resolution.
- Effective time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritise competing tasks.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Attach a cover letter, resume and address the 'selection criteria' as part of the questions section of this page (outlined in the position description).
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you'd like to know more contact David George, Manager Community Safety & Amenity at email@example.com or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 27 September 2021
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer