Coordinator Financial Services
|Job Type||Full Time - Temporary - Maternity Leave position|
|Package||$90,961.48 per annum|
|Position Description||Coordinator Financial Sustainability|
We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations.
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
Covid-19 Vaccination Status
It is a requirement for all local government employees in Victoria to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and evidence must be provided by the preferred candidate prior to an offer of employment.
About this role
An exciting leadership role, with the opportunity to work remotely using innovative technology.
This position provides strategic financial advice, asset management accounting and organisational support for systems to ensure future financial sustainability and organisational procurement requirements are met.
- Provide high level, quality and timely budget and financial management advice and reports to the organisation.
- Undertake the monthly reporting process and forecasts.
- Be the key point of contact for departmental budget reviews.
- Investigate budget variances to assist with monthly variance analysis
- Maintain effective relationships with management and staff to ensure deadlines are consistently met
- Provide strategic expert advice in the development and planning of the Council’s annual budget
- Maintain and review the short and long-term financial planning strategies for Council that relate to the long term financial plan.
- Oversee fleet management finance and accounts payable functions.
- Oversee the asset accounting function to ensure compliance and reporting requirements are met with regard to relevant legislation and accounting standards.
- Prepare the annual financial statements and reconciliation including performance reporting framework and preparation of the Victorian Grants Commission (VGC) return.
- Maintain the investment portfolio and optimise the returns from Council’s cash investments in accordance with the law, policy and local government guidelines.
- Develop, implement, monitor and review accounting and procurement policies and procedures for the organisation within local government legislation, guidelines and other requirements and best practice
- Ensure full compliance with the Local Government Act, Local Government Regulations, Ministerial Guidelines, Australian Accounting Standards and all other relevant statutes within a strategic financial context.
- Ensure forward planning for the development and maintenance of Council's financial systems and controls in accordance with relevant Australian Accounting Standards for improved accountability and public reporting standards.
- Develop, implement and maintain procurement procedures that are compliant with financial, public records and local government legislation.
- Prepare, deliver and review training materials for procurement and budget management.
- Ensure grants are included to relevant financial reports and budgets in line with the relevant funding agreements.
- Ensure grant acquittals are undertaken in a timely manner.
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
- Tertiary qualification in accounting and experience in areas relevant to the requirements of this position.
- Working knowledge and understanding of accounting principles and concepts including but not limited to: Accounting Standards and Financial provisions of the Local Government Act 1989 (and 2020) and the various Local Government Regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to write detailed reports and resolve planning issues through effective mediation, negotiate and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a politically sensitive environment.
- Ability to manage, support and develop a team.
How to apply
- Download and read the position description.
- Answer the questions in the application process, address the selection criteria and attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you'd like to know more contact Graham Haylock, Manager Financial Services at email@example.com or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 13th December 2021.
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer