Urban Forest Officer
PART TIME - 3 DAYS PER WEEK
Hourly Rate from: $44.59 to $53.25 ph
+ 10% superannuation + $600 pa transport allowance
21 hours per week
North Sydney Council administers the North Sydney local government area on Sydney’s picturesque lower North Shore. Our 400 employees look after 77,000 residents spread across 10 square kilometres of land on the foreshores of Sydney Harbour providing spectacular harbour views, beautiful parklands and a bustling CBD.
We are seeking a reliable and hard-working Urban Forest Officer to join our newly created Urban Forest Management Team. The Urban Forest Officer is responsible for support and assistance with the implementation and upkeep of Council’s Urban Forest Strategy, Street Tree Strategy and Section 16 of Council’s DCP Trees and Vegetation Management document and promoting the importance of tree canopy within the North Sydney Local Government Area. Duties include reviewing and implementing North Sydney’s existing policy framework including the Urban Forest Strategy and Street Tree Strategy.
The successful applicant will have tertiary qualifications in Arboriculture, Landscape Architecture/Design, or equivalent experience in a related field. The upkeep, and preparation of policies and strategies would be an advantage. A high level of written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required together with ability to implement current trends, issues and policy impacts related to Urban Forestry.
Ideally the successful candidate will have Local Government experience and experience in community consultation.
- Tertiary qualifications in Arboriculture, Landscape Architecture / Design or a related discipline
- Proven research and analysis skills, and ability to prepare policies, strategic plans, reports, submissions and briefings on the urban forest and complex tree management issues and strategies
- High level of written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- High level of computer literacy including proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheets
- Willingness and ability to undertake training or learn new skills as required to fulfil the duties of Urban Forest Officer
- Demonstrate commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity, Occupational Health and Safety and Cultural Diversity principles
- Demonstrated experience in project planning and management including the ability to manage and deliver complex projects across multi-disciplinary areas to achieve integrated policy outcome
- Experience in tendering and contract administration
- Local government experience
- Experience in community consultation
- Current NSW Driver’s license
- Vaccinated against COVID-19
Why work at North Sydney Council?
We're committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and positive workplace. Our teams are reflective of the communities in which we operate, and we value the unique contribution each member makes to the North Sydney Council. The work we do makes a real difference to the lives of our residents and contributes to their economic and social wellbeing.
North Sydney Council as an employer offers excellent employee benefits such as:
- Easy accessibility to work with spectacular harbour view work locations
- Excellent work-life balance with a 35-hour working week for indoor workers or fortnightly RDO’s for outdoor workers
- Flexible working hours with access to flexi-time
- Freedom to direct contributions to any compliant superannuation fund
- A holistic health and well-being program offering exercise classes, flu vaccinations, skin checks, a touch football team, weekly fruit deliveries, health seminars and more
- Health and Well-being programs for all employees such as Yoga, Pilates, Kick Boxing
- Access to employee recognition and reward program
- Weekly fruit baskets
- Free access to counselling sessions through our Employee Assistance Program
- Free financial advice by a certified Financial Planner
- Monetary transport allowance
- Invitations to local government events, training and planning sessions
- Access to corporate social events at picturesque harbour locations
- Casual dress days in support of charities and not-for-profit organisations
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume and answer the selection criteria questions below.
To view the Position Description, Click Here
Closing Date: 07 July 2022 - 11.30pm
North Sydney Council is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity in order to provide a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. North Sydney Council also adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. We strongly encourage candidates from wide-ranging backgrounds, identities and experiences to apply.