Sustainable Business Officer
Temporary Contract until end of June 2026
Salary from: $85,605.17 to $102,219.43 pa + 10.5% superannuation + $1,000 pa transport allowance
35 hours per week with access to flexi time
North Sydney Council administers the North Sydney local government area on Sydney’s picturesque lower North Shore. Our 400 employees look after 77,000 residents spread across 10 square kilometres of land on the foreshores of Sydney Harbour providing spectacular harbour views, beautiful parklands and a bustling CBD.
An exciting opportunity currently exists for an enthusiastic individual to drive sustainable business practices and performance through Council’s sustainable business engagement programs, including the Better Business Partnerships (BBP) program and the CitySwitch Green Office program. As one of the founding partners of both programs, North Sydney Council is seeking a passionate candidate to champion sustainable business outcomes in the North Sydney Council area.
Working collaboratively with BBP and City Switch program staff in other Council areas to achieve regional outcomes, this position will be responsible for engaging current and new businesses within North Sydney to reduce their environmental footprint. This will include better waste management practices, reducing single use plastics, and implementing energy and water efficiencies. The position will also work with commercial building owners and managers to achieve better sustainability outcomes within North Sydney’s commercial building stock, including through Council’s Environmental Upgrade Program.
This is a temporary opportunity until the end of June 2026, with the possibility of being extended.
- Tertiary qualifications in sustainability/ environmental studies/ environmental management/ environmental education/business/ property management/ or extensive relevant knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical advice on business sustainability.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering educational content in a sustainability context.
- Proven ability to collate, analyse and report on sustainability data.
- High level of communication, interpersonal, presentation and report writing skills.
- Ability to use various computer applications such as word processing and spreadsheet applications effectively, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management including ability to deliver projects on time and on budget, and be able to balance and respond to competing priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a busy multi-disciplinary team.
- Willingness and ability to work outside normal business hours.
- Current NSW Class C driver’s licence and ability and willingness to drive.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining productive relationships with individual businesses, commercial building managers, commercial strata organisations and business stakeholders.
- Experience with undertaking energy and/or water and/or waste audits.
Why work at North Sydney Council?
We're committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and positive workplace. Our teams are reflective of the communities in which we operate, and we value the unique contribution each member makes to the North Sydney Council. The work we do makes a real difference to the lives of our residents and contributes to their economic and social wellbeing.
North Sydney Council as an employer offers excellent employee benefits such as:
- Easy accessibility to work with spectacular harbor view work locations
- Access to Fitness Passport
- Excellent work life balance with a 35-hour working week for indoor workers or fortnightly RDO’s for outdoor workers
- Flexible working hours with access to Flexi time
- Freedom to direct contributions to any compliant superannuation fund
- Health and Well-being programs for all employees such as Yoga, Pilates, Kick Boxing
- Access to employee recognition and reward program
- Weekly fruit baskets
- Free access to counselling sessions through our Employee Assistance Program
- Free financial advice by a certified Financial Planner
- Monetary Transport allowance
- Invitations to Local Govt events, training and planning sessions
- Access to corporate social events at picturesque harbour locations
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit a resume and answer the selection criteria questions below.
To view the Position Description, Click Here
Closing Date: 23 September 2022 - 11.30pm
North Sydney Council is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity in order to provide a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. North Sydney Council also adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. We strongly encourage candidates from wide-ranging backgrounds, identities and experiences to apply.