Trainee Marine Pilot
Gladstone Marine Pilot Services (GMPS) is a wholly owned subsidiary of GPC which owns and operates the Port of Gladstone, the Port of Rockhampton and the Port of Bundaberg. Gladstone Ports Corporation (GPC) plays a pivotal role in delivering Central Queensland region’s natural resource and finished products to customers worldwide. The Port of Gladstone is Queensland’s largest multi-commodity port and includes one of the world’s largest coal export terminals.
Gladstone Ports Corporation is actively seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates for the role of Trainee Marine Pilot. The Marine Pilots are responsible for safe and efficient pilotage of vessels in the Gladstone Region through the direct application of high level ship handling skill, local port knowledge and general maritime expertise.
GPC offers piloting of a wide range of vessel sizes and types, including LNG, passenger and general cargo, pilot launch, helicopter transfer and helicopter winch transfer, work-life balance and a supportive pilotage team.
- Undertake training to gain a valid pilot licence and area endorsement, and to perform the duties of a pilot to meet the operational demands of the region;
- Undertake Continuous Professional Development training as stipulated by the regulator and required by GMPS to ensure maintenance of the highest professional standard in pilotage;
- Conduct safe and efficient pilotage of vessels in regional ports through the direct application of a high level of ship handling skill, local port knowledge and general maritime expertise;
- Undertake safety training, updating and familiarisation and marine emergency;
- Assist in the overall task of port pilotage management, including completion of appropriate documentation and logs in a timely manner;
- Work a roster specific to Gladstone region and form part of a team of pilots that work together to deliver pilotage services;
- Progress through a number of competency levels as professional skills and port specific knowledge is developed to the level of Senior Marine Pilot;
- Work towards achieving financial responsibility through identification of cost saving measures and effective utilisation of resources.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated Marine Pilot who has a great personal drive and is safety conscious at all times. The successful candidate must possess a valid unrestricted Master Class 1 Certificate of Competency or Master Unlimited Certificate recognised by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and a ‘C’ Class Motor Vehicle Licence.
While in training you will be required to reside in the community of Gladstone, QLD.
Please complete the online application form and submit a cover letter, resume and copies of any qualifications as part of your application.
For further details on the role and requirements, please refer to the full position description.
Confidential enquiries can be made by contacting the recruitment team on (07) 4976 1686.
Applications are to be received prior to to 4:30pm Wednesday 22nd December 2021, and must be submitted via www.gpcl.com.au/careers.