NOC 2173 Software engineers and designers
About the Organization
Trusted by shipbuilders, naval architects and marine engineers, SSI develops Autodesk-based solutions for the shipbuilding and offshore industry. With the majority of US naval ships now being built with SSI solutions, and prestigious names in global marine construction increasingly choosing SSI, we are poised for well-managed and sustainable growth.
An established company with over 30 years in Victoria, BC, Canada with a satellite office in the USA, we are proud to offer our team an environment that combines fascinating and challenging work with a healthy work-life balance. A career with us gives you the opportunity to work on complex and graphically oriented software that is used on high profile marine projects worldwide. These exciting projects include the recently built CCGS Sir John Franklin, as well as a myriad of both international and US defense projects. The ability to live and work in Victoria and be a part of a respectful team that understands the need to balance dedication to the workplace with personal and family responsibilities, are just some of the things that make for a rewarding career with SSI.
About the Opportunity
SSI is looking for two permanent, full time Product Owners to join our development team in Victoria, British Columbia. Reporting to the Co-CEO, the Product Owner represents the “voice of the customer” by bringing a strategic vision to our existing products. Their focus is on maximizing the value delivered to the customer by the development team. The successful candidate will be relied upon to identify, prioritize and manage product requirements, work with customers, management, and other stakeholders, as well as collaborate with the Agile/Scrum team to ensure quality design and implementation of product features.
What we look for:
- Bachelor's degree or diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- 5 years of hands-on experience as a Product Owner or industry experience in software Product Management, Project Management, or Product Development
- Product-driven focus - able to evaluate priorities and make difficult needs-based decisions
- Collaborative mindset - proven track record of guiding teams and stakeholders towards pragmatic consensus leading to high-value product roadmaps and implementations
- Excellent communication skills (listening, writing, speaking including public-speaking, presentation, virtual meeting, and video recording skills)
- The ability to work effectively with people in stressful situations and maintain positive customer relations
- The ability to work with people from various backgrounds and cultures
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize, and execute multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work independently towards high-level objectives
- Fluency in English
- The ability to travel internationally
Great to have:
- Professional experience in shipbuilding or manufacturing
- Passionate about and experienced in Agile development methodologies and processes such as Scrum
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) Certification
- Experience with Atlassian products such as Jira and Confluence
- Experience with AutoCAD or other CAD systems
Please note: The successful candidate must be willing to work remotely within Canada with the eventual relocation to Victoria, BC, and either be a Canadian Citizen or hold a valid Canadian Permanent Residency or Work Permit.
About the Benefits
At SSI, the core of our success lies in the creative, energetic and dedicated people who make up our team. Although the work may be challenging, we foster a fun, flexible and friendly working environment with:
- A casual, relaxed work environment
- Flexible work hours that support a work-life balance
- Seasonal social events (Friday pub lunches, potlucks, Pi day, Christmas parties, theme days, and more)
- Paid time off to attend blood donation drives
Upon joining SSI, the successful incumbent can expect to receive a competitive remuneration package plus great employee benefits, including:
- ParaMedical, Dental, and Vision
- Life insurance and long-term disability benefits
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Education assistance, professional development, opportunities for career growth, and training
If you enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and want to take your career to the next level with a local employer of choice – apply to SSI today!