Senior Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
We are seeking a Senior Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator with a passion for public health and protecting the environment. We welcome dedicated people that want to work in a team environment.
The Senior Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator position will work within a committed team to maintain, operate, undertake routine testing and carry out minor repairs of Wastewater Treatment Plants to ensure wastewater treatment meets health and environmental requirements as well as community expectations utilising adopted operating procedures.
The position is suitable to those who enjoy a diversity of work in both outdoor and office environments combining computer based and active work activities.
About the Role:
- Senior role providing technical advice and direction on daily operations and recommendation improvements, ensuring the level of efficient for plants under your control.
- Reports to Engineer – Treatment Plants.
- Supervises employees plus contractors, including performance management, placements, rosters, and training.
- Responsible for the daily on-site operations and maintenance of one or more of Council’s Wastewater Facilities
- This position requires the incumbent to be available for out of hours “on call” emergency service, on a rotational basis and the incumbents place of residence during these on call periods needs to be geographically located within approximately 30 minutes of the Wastewater Treatment Plant at Murwillumbah so that response times to “call outs” is minimised. Further information can be provided upon request.
What's on offer:
- An attractive base salary ranging from $1,257.24 per week with competency based increments up to $1,476.04 per week, plus 10% super (rates as per Award increase effective 3 July 2021)
- Training and development opportunities.
- Flexible work options for a healthy work/life balance including the possibility of flexible or family friendly working hours.
- Generous employment conditions (we have too many to list - click here for more).
We are seeking:
- Certificate III or IV for Wastewater Treatment PLUS extensive experience in the operation of modern activated sludge Wastewater Treatment plants, including dosing.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge in the operation of modern activated sludge Wastewater Treatment Plants including chemical dosing.
- Capacity to provide quality supervision and leadership of a small team to meet organisational goals.
- Willingness to participate in the Water Unit's on-call roster system to provide weekend and after-hours operational services.
Where it's located:
This position is based in Murwillumbah, and can be directed to work from any Council work site. All our treatment plant staff undertake shorter term rotations from their base treatment plant to other council treatment plant on a periodic basis for development as well as ensuring contingency of operational knowledge across our treatment plants.
Friday 30 July 2021 at 12 noon sharp (NSW time). Late applications will not be permitted.
We actively encourage applications from all candidates, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the LGBTI community, and people with disabilities.
Tweed Shire Council conducts pre-employment assessments as part of its recruitment process. Click here for more information.
How To Apply
You must use your own email address, and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with council.
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields.
- Have your Resume document ready to go.
- Fill out all questions below. Click 'Next'. For tips on how to address selection criteria, click here.
- You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click 'Next'.
- Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to submit your application.
If you'd like to COPY and PASTE selection criteria fields into a separate Word document to work on over time, please find them listed below:
1. Certificate III for Wastewater Treatment or equivalent qualification.
2. Extensive experience in the operation of modern activated sludge wastewater treatment plants.
3. Demonstrated thorough knowledge in the operation and maintenance of modern activated sludge Wastewater Treatment Plants including chemical dosing systems.
4. Demonstrated ability to control plant changes or difficulties in a relatively unsupervised environment (to be addressed at interview).
5. Demonstrated knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental legislative requirements relating to wastewater treatment plants, including Environmental Protection Licences.
6. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the use of SCADA systems.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of the mechanical operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant.
8. Demonstrated competence in communicating effectively with Professional Engineering staff to maintain and optimise systems performance and problem solve.
9. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills (to be addressed at interview).
10. Demonstrated capacity to provide quality supervision and leadership of a small team to meet organisational goals.
11. Current Vehicle Licence – Car.
12. Demonstrated computing skills, particularly Microsoft Excel.
13. Demonstrated ability to respond to alarms or emergency situations at the plant in a responsible manner.
14. The position requires the incumbent to be available for 24 hour “on call” emergency service, on a rotational basis and the incumbents home needs to be geographically located within approximately 30 minutes of the Banora Point, Murwillumbah and Kingscliff Wastewater Treatment Plants so that response times to “call outs” is minimised (to be addressed at interview).
15. Trade qualification in a relevant discipline (to be addressed at interview).
OFFICE USE ONLY