Tweed Heads South
Are you a keen Scientist seeking a career in an Environmental Laboratory based in an idyllic coastal location?
Tweed Shire Council Laboratory Centre is a water and soil environmental testing laboratory that services the Tweed Shire Council and a wide variety of external clients.
This is a great opportunity to become part of a small, dedicated team that takes pride in providing high quality analytical testing services. We use state of the art instrumentation and classical techniques to analyse drinking and environmental waters, wastewater and soils. Located in Northern NSW, the Tweed Shire is a highly sort after location where you can build a career with great lifestyle benefits.
While some experience would be useful, recent or close to completing graduates are encouraged to apply. Starting date could be flexible for the successful candidate allowing them to complete their qualification first. Full laboratory training for classical techniques and instrumentation would be provided.
About the role:
Based upon the successful candidate’s skill set and knowledge, the role will involve:
- a range of chemical and/or microbiology analysis on water (drinking water, environmental groundwaters, river and estuarine waters) and soils
- classical chemical and microbiology techniques in all aspects of analysis from reagent preparation to reporting of results
- operation, calibration and basic maintenance of analytical instrumentation used for metals, organics and nutrient analysis
- sample collection, preservation and registration processes
- this position has been identified as potentially being at risk of exposure to vaccine preventable disease(s). As such, it is a requirement that the incumbent be immunised against Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Tetanus.
What's on offer:
- a base salary ranging from $1,282.38 per week with competency-based increments up to $1,505.56 per week, plus 10.5% super
- 35 hour week, 9 day fortnight
- training and development opportunities
- flexible work options for a healthy work/life balance
- generous employment conditions (we have too many to list - click here for more).
We are seeking:
- minimum Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques/Operations, Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology or acceptable equivalent science
- able to work under pressure in a team environment
- demonstrated knowledge of wastewater and water quality guidelines such as NH&MRC, WHO, ANZECC, EPA.
- Located on the picturesque far North Coast of NSW, bordering the Gold Coast.
- The Tweed is a vibrant, diverse location offering a lifestyle near the water, in a rainforest or on a farm.
- Tweed Shire Council is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
- Join an employer of choice. Professionals Australia (Local Government Engineers’ Association) has named Council the 2021 Employer of Choice for our great employment practices within NSW local government.
Where it's located:
This position is based in Tweed Heads South, and can be directed to work from any Council work site.
Monday 10 October 2022 at 12 noon sharp (NSW time). Late applications will not be permitted.
Tweed Shire Council conducts pre-employment assessments as part of its recruitment process.
Job offers are not made until screening has been completed. Tweed Shire Council uses third-party providers to undertake:
- Pre-employment medical – some roles require a functional (physical) assessment, and all positions are subject to drug and alcohol screening (a positive test result means the recruitment process ends and your application will not be considered).
- Background screening - verifies that the information you have provided throughout the recruitment process is true and correct. Click here for more information.
Reference Checks are undertaken by the panel. Your 2 referees should ideally be your current and most recent supervisors. Your referees are not contacted unless you’ve been interviewed and are a preferred candidate.
This position is identified as at risk of contracting vaccine-preventable/manageable diseases and as a consequence impacted employees are strongly recommended to participate in Council’s workplace vaccination program.
How To Apply:
You must use your own email address, and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with council.
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields:
- Have your Resume document ready to go.
- Fill out all questions below. Click 'Next'. For tips on how to address the selection criteria, click here
- You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click 'Next'.
- Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to submit your application.
If you'd like to COPY and PASTE selection criteria fields into a separate Word document to work on over time, please find them listed below:
- Minimum Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques/Operations, Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology or acceptable equivalent science.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated competency in the use of computers and instrumentation software
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated competence in performing calibration checks on general laboratory equipment.
- Demonstrated competency in classical wet and instrumental chemical techniques.
OFFICE USE ONLY