Playgroup and Parenting Support Worker
- Position : Full time, Fixed term for 12 months
- Salary : $67269- $83476(based on skills & experience) Plus Super and Attractive Salary Packaging
- Location : Chirnside Park
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is an Aboriginal Community-Controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal Community and is the largest organisation of it’s kind in Australia. The VACCA team is committed to the organisation’s visions and values, passionately providing support, service and advocacy for our children and other vulnerable members of the community.
Our Aboriginality distinguishes us from other community organisations and we are proud of our friendly, supportive and inclusive organisational culture. We want everyone to feel welcome at VACCA. It is why we are able to deliver positive outcomes that lead to ongoing change.
Our strength lies with our people.
About the role
The Early Help Intervention and Child and Family Support Service within VACCA provide a range of programs for Aboriginal families from brief interventions to intensive supports across the Eastern Melbourne Metro Region. Our Programs are implemented in the community through Playgroups, parenting groups and outreach hands-on practical supports to families in their homes. Our programs are delivered in line with an integrated model of service delivery that are driven by culture and trauma-informed approaches. These interventions support families to prevent Child Protection involvement by strengthening parenting education and capacity and also provide supports to families for safe reunification of Aboriginal children in OOHC.
The Playgroup and Family Support worker will contribute to the overall support service, particularly for parents with children from 0-5 years old. This position was created to ensure that the playgroups operated in the Eastern region deliver quality services to the Aboriginal community in the area.
VACCA’s playgroups and family support services are available to all children and families in our Community and provide a culturally safe place for families who are vulnerable to participate in activities with their children alongside strong Aboriginal Community members. They also provide a supportive place of mentoring and peer support.
VACCA’s playgroups focus on: intentional based learning and play; facilitating positive parent-child interactions and parental skill development; supporting child development and school readiness; developing cultural knowledge and identity of children and families; participation of Elders, Community members and artists to develop strong connections to culture and Community; providing information about services including maternal child health; and affirming Aboriginal childrearing practices.
Additionally, VACCA family support services offer practical hands-on outreach supports to Aboriginal families’ home. These supports focus on skilling up parenting capacity, strengthen family relationships, improving home routines for families, improving safety for children’s wellbeing in their homes, connections to essential services, including links to health, education, cultural and social activities.
- Demonstrated experience in working and engaging with Aboriginal families and children/ Demonstrated experience in child and family sector
- An understanding of developmental milestones for children
- An ability to facilitate group sessions with families and children
- An ability to work flexible hours.
- Desirable: Experience or formal qualifications in children services, early childhood education, community services and social work are desirable or willingness to undertake one.
- Requirement: Current COVID-19 vaccination (Including booster dose, as applicable), a Working with Children’s Check for a paid employee (or willingness to obtain) and a valid Victorian Drivers License
What we can offer you!!
- Attractive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Great career development opportunities.
- Access to Employee support and wellbeing program(s)
- Opportunity to work and build connection with the Aboriginal Community and culture
We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders people to apply
Applications should include a response to the key selection criteria, resume and cover letter.
We encourage applicants to view the Position Description prior to applying. Please click here to view the position description
Application closes by November 06, 2022
We are committed to Aboriginal self-determination and supporting strong, safe, thriving Aboriginal communities and aim to ensure every individual is treated with dignity, honouring all cultural backgrounds, abilities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities and spiritual beliefs.
VACCA is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
VACCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a smoke-free workplace policy.