- Position : Part-time/Full Time, Ongoing
- Salary : $71,853 to $79,551 OR $81087 to $87,245 pro-rata (based on skills & experience)plus Super plus Attractive Salary Packaging option
- Location : Morwell office of VACCA
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organisation of its kind in Australia, employing more than 600 employees and delivering more than 70 programs across Victoria. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
About the role
- The primary responsibility of VACCA’s ILS Lawyer is to provide legal advice and representation to VACCA’s Nugel Program. VACCA’s ILS lawyer will also provide legal or strategic advice on client services projects, programs or cases involving legal or human rights issues. From time to time the ILS lawyer may also contribute to a diverse range of projects that advance the interests of the organisation in the broader political arena including advocating for Aboriginal rights, law reform and self-determination
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, the values that underpin VACCA' vision and purpose and the capacity to take a leadership role in championing these internally and externally
- Demonstrated awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures, and commitment to continually build knowledge of such, along with a high level of awareness of the key issues which impact upon Aboriginal communities
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills with the ability to understand Aboriginal history and values to build trusting relationships and engage effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including Aboriginal people, Aboriginal organisations, clients, government departments, courts and the legal profession.
- Demonstrated high level oral communication and listening skills and ability to represent VACCA in court proceedings and dispute resolution conferences.
- Experience or knowledge of Children’s Court and child protection proceedings, laws and/or policies.
- Experience and knowledge of relevant international human rights instruments and bodies and /or relevant human rights protections for Aboriginal people within Australian and/or Victorian law.
- Experience appearing as an advocate in court proceedings
- Bachelor of Laws
- Admitted or eligible for admission as a legal practitioner in Victoria
What we can offer you!!
- Professional support and training via in-house learning and development training modules
- Attractive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Great career development opportunities.
- Access to Employee support and wellbeing program(s)
- Opportunity to work and build connection with the Aboriginal Community and culture
We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders people to apply
Applications should include a cover letter and current resume.
We encourage applicants to view the Position Description prior to applying. Please click here to view the position description.
Application closes by 3 Oct, 2021
We are committed to Aboriginal self-determination and supporting strong, safe, thriving Aboriginal communities and aim to ensure every individual is treated with dignity, honouring all cultural backgrounds, abilities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities and spiritual beliefs.
VACCA is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
VACCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a smoke-free workplace policy.