Team Leader- Lakidjeka Aboriginal Child Specialist Advice Support Service
Either Bairnsdale or Morwell or both sites
- Position : Full Time, Ongoing
- Salary : $96964 to $101249, (based on skills & experience) Plus super & Attractive Salary Packaging option
- Location : Either Bairnsdale or Morwell or both sites
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is an Aboriginal Community-Controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal Community and is the largest organisation of it’s kind in Australia. The VACCA team is committed to the organisation’s visions and values, passionately providing support, service and advocacy for our children and other vulnerable members of the community.
Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from other community organisations and it is why we are able to deliver positive outcomes that lead to ongoing change.
Our strength lies with our people, and all people are welcome at VACCA!
About the role
The Lakidjeka Aboriginal Child Specialist Advise Support Service (ACSASS) provides specialist advice and case consultation to Child Protection about culturally appropriate intervention in respect of all reports relating to alleged harm of children and significant decisions in all phases of child protection.
The Lakidjeka program does not have direct responsibility for case work. The role of the program is to provide advice and support to inform the respectful engagement of families, risk and other assessments, planning, monitoring, and reviews undertaken by child protection.
This Team Leader role is to:
- Provide independent consultation advice to Child Protection on the best ways of keeping children and young people safe. This advice will include the importance of strong connection to Aboriginal culture, community and family when making decisions in the best interest of the child or young person.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of locally based ACSASS team for the Inner and Outer Gippsland Region including the direct supervision and support of staff
- Report to a Senior Program Manager as well as contribute to a larger management group
- Liaise and develop several external working relationships with Child Protection, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal services.
- Develop and maintain strong partnership arrangements with Child Protection
- Team Leader will be based at either Morwell or Bairnsdale VACCA Office. They will be required to travel between sites as required.
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures, and commitment to continually build knowledge of such, along with a high level of awareness of the key issues which impact upon Aboriginal communities
- Experience in working and engaging with Aboriginal families and children.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Issues related to Aboriginal child and family welfare and Child Protection Systems
- Undertake team management, including monitoring, evaluation and maintenance of standards
- Ability to work closely with child protection and other services to advocate for the child and support the best interests of Aboriginal children
- Ability to communicate effectively, including consultation and liaising sensitively and effectively with a wide range of organisations including government departments (DHHS)
- A sound understanding of child and adolescent development, intervention techniques and strategies related to the protection of children and young people from abuse and neglect.
- Preparedness to participate in a rostered after-hours on call service.
- Desirable: A relevant welfare qualification & an Understanding of the Children, Youth and Families Act, 2005 (Vic.) & Department of Human Services (Protective Services) procedures and policies regarding case planning
- Requirement: Current COVID-19 vaccination (Including booster dose, as applicable), a Working with Children’s Check for a paid employee (or willingness to obtain) and a valid Victorian Drivers License
What we can offer you!!
- Professional support and training via in-house learning and development training modules
- Attractive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Great career development opportunities.
- Access to Employee support and wellbeing program(s)
- Opportunity to work and build connection with the Aboriginal Community and culture
Please note: This is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander designated position, classified under Section 12 Special Measures of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. This employment opportunity is only available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria and current resume.
We encourage applicants to view the Position Description prior to applying. Please click here to view the position description.
Application closes by Oct 16, 2022
We are committed to Aboriginal self-determination and supporting strong, safe, thriving Aboriginal communities and aim to ensure every individual is treated with dignity, honouring all cultural backgrounds, abilities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities and spiritual beliefs.
VACCA is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
VACCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a smoke-free workplace policy.