Referral Centre Officer
Permanent, part-time 25 hours per week
Based in Islington, NSW
SCHCADS Award, Level 3, hourly rates from $28.91 to $31 depending on qualifications/experience
Working with a team of volunteers
- Responding to client requests for assistance with compassion and respect
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
The Referral Centre is a centralized contact for clients to call and register their request for assistance. The Referral Centre services 25 Conferences across the City of Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens and Maitland Regional areas and operates 9am-12pm 5 days a week. The Centre is staffed by volunteers.
The role is responsible for the effective administration of the Referral Centre. The aim is to achieve clear communication with all clients seeking assistance, to implement effective referral practices and to develop positive relationships with Conference Members who support and assist our clients. The key responsibilities include:
- supervising a team of volunteers who receive calls from people seeking assistance and referring them to Conferences
- coordinating the roster of volunteers and acting as back-up support to cover absences
- responding to public enquiries
- recording information and maintaining accurate database of calls received and outcome of referrals to Conferences
- supporting the Membership Development & Support Coordinator in training new volunteers
- performing administrative duties including: maintaining an inventory of office supplies, handling of all correspondence received, handling petty cash etc
This role will report to the Manager - Member Services. Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Minimum Cert IV in relevant field e.g. Community Services, Community and Home Care, Mental Health
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge and experience in office administration
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge and experience in volunteer/workforce coordination
- Ability to use client data base and Microsoft Office packages such as Word, Excel, Outlook
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with an ability to relate positively and confidently with a wide range of people, in a variety of settings
- Willingness to work within the ethos and Mission of the St Vincent de Paul Society and the Society’s Code of Conduct, and a commitment to maintain an ethical, non-judgmental, attitude towards clients, members and staff
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and to work independently and unsupervised
- Sound knowledge of WH&S legislation as it relates to the workplace.
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- Generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check. The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Clare Van Doorn (Manager - Member Services) firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting job number and position title: Referral Centre Officer (Islington)/VIN1370.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 25 February 2019
Please submit your application attaching your Resume including your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the attached Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.