Case Worker - Coniston
- Maximum term contract to 30 June 2024, full-time
- Based in Coniston, NSW; involves travel to meet client needs
- Requires current NSW Driver Licence
- SCHCADS Award - Level 4 rates, range from $36.62 per to $39.52 per hour depending on qualifications and experience
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hand up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
The Case Worker position is in the Vinnies Services directorate and is part of the Homelessness and Housing team that is responsible for state-wide management of excellent homelessness and housing services. The Case Worker will provide outreach support to people accessing Vinnies homelessness and housing services in the Illawarra region, who are homeless or are at risk of homelessness.
Responsibilities will include:
- conducting initial intakes and assessments to identify client's primary needs
- working closely with the client to develop case plans that include ongoing support, review and follow up; crisis intervention as required
- referring clients to external services and educational programs and other support resources
- conducting home visits, supervising client activities as needed
- maintaining client records and case notes.
This role will report to the Manager, Homelessness and Housing. You can find more information on the role's accountabilities and responsibilities in the the attached Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Minimum TAFE Certificate IV or currently undertaking tertiary study, in welfare or related field.
- Previous experience providing support to marginalised and vulnerable people support to homeless persons.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues relating to homelessness including but not limited to family breakdown, mental illness, drug, alcohol and gambling addictions.
- Demonstrated awareness of appropriate local community support services for homeless clients, including government agencies and NGO’s, and the capacity to build and maintain strong relationships with such service providers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Sound computer skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Awareness and understanding of the Work Health and Safety legislation and a commitment to promoting safe work practices.
- Ability to use sound judgement and act appropriately in crisis and emergency situations.
- NSW driver licence.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, right to work in Australia check. The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Lisa Rothque (Manager, Homelessness and Housing) on firstname.lastname@example.org, quote: Case Worker, Coniston /VIN2309.
Applications close at COB on 5 May 2021
Please submit your application online, attach your Resume and responses to the Role-specific criteria outlined in the Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.