Casual Cook - Armidale
Casual, work as needed
Based at Freeman House in Armidale NSW
Care Service Collective Agreement, SWSE Level 3, $24.09 per hour plus casual loading where applicable
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hand up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
Freeman House is a service providing both residential and community based programs for adults experiencing homelessness and/or addiction. In particular, we provide a residential rehabilitation service, services in the community and intensive support for people without homes (both before and after a crisis).
The Cook is responsible for preparing healthy and nutritious meals for large groups in a residential setting and will ensure high quality service delivery at all times. The role will undertake these key responsibilities:
- support training of kitchen volunteers in the kitchen processes, supervise and mentor them to ensure they are able to meet the high quality level of service delivery
- in collaboration with the Chef, plan menus within allocated budget and in accordance with dietary and nutritional needs of residents
- ensure that daily activities are completed within timeframes, including stock purchase and delivery, storage, food preparation and cooking etc.
- ensure work practices in the kitchen comply with relevant food handling and food safety and hygiene standards.
This role will report to the Team Leader, Accommodation and Catering - Freeman House. Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Hold a current ‘Food Handlers’ certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to cook for large groups of people and to cater for dietary and nutritional needs of a diverse client group.
- Ability to understand and implement WHS and Food Handling related safety requirements.
- Willingness to work with, and empathise with, people experiencing drug and alcohol issues.
- An ability and commitment to maintaining an ethical, yet non-judgmental, attitude towards clients and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- An ability to work unsupervised.
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- In addition to excellent learning and development opportunities, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide potential to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check. The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Elodie Druitt (Regional Clinical Director) Elodie.firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting Casual Cook - Freeman House / VIN2324.
Please click here for Information on how to apply.
Applications close at 11:00 pm on 16 May 2021
Please submit your application with your Resume attached and answer the screening questions below.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.