Come join us and help make a difference in the lives of older adults! As employees at a Verve Senior Living Retirement Residence, our primary goal is to help each person, have a great day, every day! Our employees thrive on collaboration and have a passion for excellence, achieving multiple awards including the Order of Excellence in Quality, from Excellence Canada. As part of our team, the things you do are key to helping us achieve our shared vision of helping seniors live longer, better. Oh, and you’ll also have a lot of fun doing it. Want to join us?
Under the direction of the Controller, this role is responsible for various aspects of the monthly full accounting cycle for all corporate entities including reconciliations, payroll, compliance, entity financial and management reports, tax and other government compliance, forecasting, budgeting and continuous improvement of the company's financial reporting systems and processes.
Must hold a university degree in accounting, a CPA designation or working on a CPA or working towards designation. Must be detailed-oriented and a team player with at least two to three years of progressive accounting experience. Must have a positive “can do” attitude with a proven track record for meeting/exceeding deadlines and produce accurate work.
Excellent working knowledge of Excel and computerized accounting systems. Must be able to communicate effectively, both written and orally, in the English language. Must be willing to learn new concepts in the monthly accounting cycle. Must be self-motivated, possess strong organizational and analytical skills and have the desire to learn. Experience with retirement living or hospitality is an asset. Experience with Sage 300 and Oracle are an asset, as is experience working with multiple entities simultaneously.
The Corporate Accountant performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following;
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Performs the full accounting cycle, including general ledger, account reconciliations for Corporate entities.
- Prepares journal entries for both day-to-day and month-end transactions.
- Maintains and reconciles sub-ledgers to G/L including inter-company balances
- Prepares monthly financial statements, variance analysis and supporting schedules
- Ensures compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Calculates monthly management fees and General Partner fees
- Calculates quarterly investor distributions for Corporate entities
- Reviews and approves corporate invoices and payments
- Prepares the full consolidation on a quarterly and annual basis
- Prepares and analyzes ad-hoc reports as required by various stakeholders on both an individual entity basis, as well as a consolidated basis
- Prepares covenant reporting as specified in the loan documents on a quarterly and annual basis
- Prepares quarterly and annual reports as per the credit facility requirements on both a consolidated and an individual entity level
- Prepares the annual budgets and quarterly forecasts for Corporate entities
- Monitors cash flow and prepares cash flow projections, where applicable
- Tracks capital expenditure again capital budgets and ensures proper categorization and depreciation of assets
- Ensures compliance with GAAP
- Prepares year-end audit packages and liaises with external auditors
- Supports financing and other corporate capital transaction activities
- Ensure that all regulatory and government returns and reporting (GST/HST, annual returns, WSIB) are filed on time
- Performs other related tasks as delegated by the Controller
- Strong Excel skills (including knowledge of formulas, pivot tables, v-lookups, etc.) and other Microsoft Office.
- Ability to collaborate with other Corporate office team members, as well as operational team members.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information System. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire drills.
- Works independently and with minimum supervision.
- Complies with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Completes all required mandatory training/education.
- Other duties as assigned.
"We accommodate persons with disabilities in the recruitment and hiring process."
All offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Background Check. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.