Cook - The Shores Of Port Credit
Come join us and help make a difference in the lives of older adults! As employees at a Verve Senior Living Retirement Residence, our primary goal is to help each person, have a great day, every day! Our employees thrive on collaboration and have a passion for excellence, achieving multiple awards including the Order of Excellence in Quality, from Excellence Canada. As part of our team, the things you do are key to helping us achieve our shared vision of helping seniors live longer, better. Oh, and you’ll also have a lot of fun doing it. Want to join us?
Under the direction of the Dining Services Manager/Head Chef, is responsible for the preparation and garnishing of attractively plated, nutritious meals for residents and guests. Ensures cleanliness and of the kitchen and equipment in accordance with public health standards and regulations.
Minimum of grade 12 education. Chef training or culinary management diploma or certificate granted by a college established under the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act, 2002 or the equivalent. Minimum 2 years experience in Quantity Cooking and Food Preparation at a Cook I or Cook II level. Red Seal will be given preference. Must have Safe Food Handler’s certificate. Must be able to communicate effectively, both written and verbally, in the English language. Must be familiar with computerized on-line ordering systems and dietary software.
- Participates in and contributes to the continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Program.
- Prepares and produces all meals and catered services as per the posted menu, following HACCP principles.
- Assists in menu planning and recipe development by providing input on resident acceptability.
- Participates in developing, standardizing and costing of recipes by ensuring portion control.
- Forecasts food production requirements on a daily basis and plans for effective utilization of food and leftovers.
- Collects, labels and stores food samples from each meal.
- Ensures that menu changes are approved by the dining services manager.
- Presents appetizing and appealing meals to the resident and ensuring that the appropriate temperature of the food is documented and maintained (hot food hot, cold food cold).
- Ensures that dining service attendants demonstrate sanitation, safety and infection control procedures.
- Directs and trains staff involved with food preparation and proper use of equipment.
- Replaces staff for call-in.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Prepares, receives and stores food purchases and supply orders.
- Responsible for cleaning, maintenance and safety of all kitchen equipment.
- Monitors risks such as correct food temperatures, fridge and freezer temperatures, dish and pot washing temperatures,
- Monitors food quality, quantity, appearance and portion size.
- Participates in departmental in-services
- Provides general supervision of the food service operation in the absence of the dining services manager/head chef.
- Keeps the dining service manager/head chef informed of any staff member whose performance is less than satisfactory.
- Performs all other duties as assigned or delegated by the dining services manager/head chef, or other members of the residences management team
- Maintains effective communication, both written and verbal with co-workers. Uses appropriate lines of communication with management staff.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System, Food Premises regulations and LTC/ORCA/RH dietary standards. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire drills.
All offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Background Check. We thank all those who apply; however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Verve Senior Living is an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. We are dedicated to building a team that reflects the diversity of the residents and communities in which we live and serve. If you require accommodation for any portion of the recruitment and hiring process, please let us know.