Life Enrichment Supervisor
Come join us and help make a difference in the lives of older adults! As employees at a Verve Senior Living Retirement Residence, our primary goal is to help each person, have a great day, every day! Our employees thrive on collaboration and have a passion for excellence, achieving multiple awards including the Order of Excellence in Quality, from Excellence Canada. As part of our team, the things you do are key to helping us achieve our shared vision of helping seniors live longer, better. Oh, and you’ll also have a lot of fun doing it. Want to join us?
In conjunction with the Life Enrichment Manager, the Life Enrichment Supervisor plans, organizes, and implements programs to enhance the physical, emotional, cognitive, social and spiritual development of the residents. Contributes to establishing new methods and policies that improve leisure lifestyle and promote positive and active retirement living.
Has completed a minimum of grade 12. Must possess a diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in the field of Recreation, Physical Education, and/or Gerontology (or a closely related field). Has 3-5 years of experience in recreation programming and/or volunteer management for a senior population. Has demonstrated excellent leadership skills (i.e. Diversicare/ Verve Senior Living Competencies). Has a valid provincial driver’s license or is willing to obtain one in order to drive the company vehicle. Driver’s abstract available upon request. Smart Serve certification required. Written and verbal fluency in English is required. Has proficient computer skills (i.e. Word and Excel). Dementia experience/knowledge is an asset. A resident-oriented individual, whose visions and values align with those of Diversicare.
- Participates in and contributes to the Verve Quality Improvement (VQI) program.
- Plans, directs and evaluates the activities relating to the physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual needs of the residents. Communicates activities of the department to residents, staff, families and the community to encourage participation in programs, while ensuring the needs of residents are met. Completes and distributes monthly activity calendars, surveys, invitations, etc. in a timely manner.
- Leads programming in independent living, assisted living, and memory care residences/homes.
- Maintains a positive image of the residence through ongoing communications with the community and local media.
- Coordinates the volunteer and student placement program for the residence, including recruiting, orientating, directing and evaluating volunteer activities. Coordinates and evaluates pastoral care services.
- Participates in committee meetings (i.e. department manager meetings, infection control, health and safety and resident assessment meetings), as directed by the general manager.
- Participates in continuing education, and acts as a resource to staff within the residence.
- Develops goals and objectives for the Life Enrichment department. Keeps departmental manual up to date.
- Participates in the weekend duty manager rotation of the residence (as applicable).
- May drive residents to and from events outside the home using a company vehicle.
- Maintains records of initial assessments and programs for each resident and reviews on a regular basis. Notifies resident care staff of any observed changes and/or concerns with residents.
- Maintains established department plans, policies and procedures regarding such items as quality of programming, treatment of residents, infection control and safety. Ensures compliance by volunteers.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire drills. Implements and follows infection prevention control protocols. Complies with all relevant corporate policies and procedures.
- Liaises with outside service contractors and inspectors to ensure equipment and surroundings conform to codes and regulations.
- Completes all required mandatory training/education.
- May attend and participate in regional Life Enrichment meetings.
- Builds internal and external relationships (i.e. residents, other departments, families), and collaborates and communicates with these groups to ensure optimal outcomes are achieved.
- Performs other related tasks as delegated by Life Enrichment Manager/General Manager.
“We accommodate persons with disabilities in the recruitment and hiring process.”
All offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Background Check. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.